Free Laptops and Broadband for the Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Free Laptops and Broadband for the Poor

Prime Minister Gordon Brown has promised $500 million in laptops and broadband to help the UK's poorest families follow their children's progress at school. Good idea? Bad idea? Potential for abuse?

Speaking to an international education forum in Westminster, Brown said: "We want every family to become a broadband family, and we want every home linked to a school. For those finding it difficult to afford this, today I can announce the nationwide rollout of our home access programme to get laptops and broadband at home for 270,000 families. It will mean all families can come together, learn together and reap rewards together."

I don't want to sound mean...but a lot of "poor" people are in that kind of situation due to their own fault. To lazy to work, to lazy for school, etc. And most of the time if you give them any sort of thing to actually benefit their life they will either A: sell it to buy something they shouldn't or B: complain why you just didn't give them money so they could finish doing A....

But I'm sure there are people out there who legitimately need and/or deserve something like this to benefit their life.

anyway wasn't there a topic about this before? Seems really familiar lol

While there maybe those that are in if for reasons due to themselves, what about those that are in the position cause they were hurt at work and the company isnt paying for the doctor bills, or they were laid off cause the company took the work over seas, and so on. Those people are not at fault for being in the position they are in. They have external factors that are weighing them down. If you got hurt at a job and cant work anymore what are you to do? If you have no money to start up a computer company that you could possibly do or get training so that you could do it what then?

Yes there are those out there that take advantage. But there are just as many out there that actually do need it. To react like this just because you only see the bad ones is wrong. Yeah i get upset when i see someone on welfare driving a Escalade using their iPhone while i am busting my arse. But that doesnt mean i have to think badly of everyone in that situation now does it?

Cant make changes if everyone believes every stereotype.

So just do what they do here in Australia. Just give every kid a netbook. Rich or poor. Restrict it so it requires the school network for various tasks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom