Chick Fil A argument.

What say you?

• It's his right as an American to feel this way.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I think he's an idiot and a hypocrite. Gay marriage is fine.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm all for people having their own opinions. I may heavily disagree with them, I may think the opinions are stupid, but they have a right to them.

That being said, I personally feel like this whole situation is disgusting. This is similar to when Target was found to be donating money to support anti-gay legislation, though I think this is on a much larger scale due to the fact there's an election coming up. There have been pictures of high-profile conservatives (read: Sarah Palin) posing for a phone picture (forgetting the fact that the reason she was able to take the picture or upload it in the first place is because of companies with a pro-gay stance...fail) as if she's a strong figure standing up for what she believes in...right.

View attachment 5354

Not to mention Michele Bachmann, whose husband owns and runs one of those "Pray Away the Gay" clinics.

I can understand why people want to boycott the "restaurant" when some of the money from their purchases funds bigoted causes. Heck, I can even understand the people that want to still eat there regardless (even if they don't agree with the stance), but what I can't ever seem to wrap my head around is this. It's the 21st friggin' century. It's time for people to grow the **** up and start accepting the cold hard facts: gay people are still people. And homosexuality has existed for pretty much...always. There's homosexuality in nature, there is homosexuality in human history, and there's homosexuality now. Deal with it.

As for using religion as a reason, once again, I scoff. For a group of people who are supposedly the "moral majority", the hate that spews from these people's mouths is nothing short of pure bile. Don't get me wrong, I'm not speaking about everyone that cracks open a bible, but the sheer numbers of these supposed "Christians" are being very not Christ-like. Using the Bible as a basis for their argument seems a bit silly to me. I take the Patton Oswalt stance on this:

These lunatics go "Well, 'cause it says in the Bible." Oookay, stop, hang on. I'm glad you like a book. I really am. At this point, I'm glad anybody's reading anything! ... But just because you like something in a book doesn't mean you can have the thing you like in the book happen in real life. That's what crazy people want! I can't go to the White House with a bunch of Green Lantern comics and go "I want a Green Lantern ring! I saw it in a book I like! Make the thing in the book I like be here, now!" I would be justifiably tased if I did that. Nobody would go "Hey, we have to respect his beliefs. You know, you gotta respect everybody's beliefs."

No you don't. That's what gets us in trouble. Look, you have to acknowledge everyone's beliefs, and then, you have to reserve the right to go "That is ****ing stupid. Are you kidding me? That's great, but I'm not gonna respect it." I have an uncle who believes he saw Sasquatch. We do not believe him, NOR do we respect him!

As a disclaimer, I'm agnostic, and I am full of skepticism when it comes to organized religion as a whole. But I have no problem if someone believes in it. I won't condemn someone's beliefs just because they don't make any sense [to me], but I acknowledge people's beliefs. If they want to believe that stuff, cool. It's when it works its way into social policy and hate that I get a problem. I have a problem when I hear a father talking about his son being gay and saying something to the tune of "I think he just did it to get back at me." I have a problem when other human beings are denied the same rights we all have access, whether it be because of their sex, race, or sexual preference. I have a problem when people deify politicians and celebrities for hating a group of people. The bottom line is no matter why you support this whole anti-gay sentiment, you still support making a group of people second class citizens. I will defend your right to that opinion to the death, but that opinion is [in my opinion] disgusting.

Attachments

• sarah-palin-chick-fil-a_521x340.jpg
    sarah-palin-chick-fil-a_521x340.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 32
I'm all for people having their own opinions. I may heavily disagree with them, I may think the opinions are stupid, but they have a right to them.

That being said, I personally feel like this whole situation is disgusting. This is similar to when Target was found to be donating money to support anti-gay legislation, though I think this is on a much larger scale due to the fact there's an election coming up. There have been pictures of high-profile conservatives (read: Sarah Palin) posing for a phone picture (forgetting the fact that the reason she was able to take the picture or upload it in the first place is because of companies with a pro-gay stance...fail) as if she's a strong figure standing up for what she believes in...right.

View attachment 5354

Not to mention Michele Bachmann, whose husband owns and runs one of those "Pray Away the Gay" clinics.

I can understand why people want to boycott the "restaurant" when some of the money from their purchases funds bigoted causes. Heck, I can even understand the people that want to still eat there regardless (even if they don't agree with the stance), but what I can't ever seem to wrap my head around is this. It's the 21st friggin' century. It's time for people to grow the **** up and start accepting the cold hard facts: gay people are still people. And homosexuality has existed for pretty much...always. There's homosexuality in nature, there is homosexuality in human history, and there's homosexuality now. Deal with it.

As for using religion as a reason, once again, I scoff. For a group of people who are supposedly the "moral majority", the hate that spews from these people's mouths is nothing short of pure bile. Don't get me wrong, I'm not speaking about everyone that cracks open a bible, but the sheer numbers of these supposed "Christians" are being very not Christ-like. Using the Bible as a basis for their argument seems a bit silly to me. I take the Patton Oswalt stance on this:

As a disclaimer, I'm agnostic, and I am full of skepticism when it comes to organized religion as a whole. But I have no problem if someone believes in it. I won't condemn someone's beliefs just because they don't make any sense [to me], but I acknowledge people's beliefs. If they want to believe that stuff, cool. It's when it works its way into social policy and hate that I get a problem. I have a problem when I hear a father talking about his son being gay and saying something to the tune of "I think he just did it to get back at me." I have a problem when other human beings are denied the same rights we all have access, whether it be because of their sex, race, or sexual preference. I have a problem when people deify politicians and celebrities for hating a group of people. The bottom line is no matter why you support this whole anti-gay sentiment, you still support making a group of people second class citizens. I will defend your right to that opinion to the death, but that opinion is [in my opinion] disgusting.

I hope you don't mind but I just quoted to one of my friends who is all anti-gay/pro Chick-Fil-A. That was the most epic post I've ever read. (tonight)

chickfila.jpg

Well, let me add my take on the whole thing.

I am a proponent of biblical, "one man one woman" marriage and have never been bashful about it. Does that mean that I hate anyone who is gay? Absolutely not. Does that mean I do not want them to be happy? Again, absolutely not. Does that mean I am against gay marriage? I have a problem with the use of the word "marriage" but don't have a problem with anyone having a solid and dedicated relationship.

Heck, I can even support people being able to put said partner on their insurance coverage and such... but only when the same is extended for others who are not married as well. A company I used to work for allowed same sex partners to cover the other, but you could not put your live-in on your coverage; that is discrimination in my eyes.

But, again, that is my own personal opinion.

Well, let me add my take on the whole thing.

I am a proponent of biblical, "one man one woman" marriage and have never been bashful about it. Does that mean that I hate anyone who is gay? Absolutely not. Does that mean I do not want them to be happy? Again, absolutely not. Does that mean I am against gay marriage? I have a problem with the use of the word "marriage" but don't have a problem with anyone having a solid and dedicated relationship.

Heck, I can even support people being able to put said partner on their insurance coverage and such... but only when the same is extended for others who are not married as well. A company I used to work for allowed same sex partners to cover the other, but you could not put your live-in on your coverage; that is discrimination in my eyes.

But, again, that is my own personal opinion.

Aside from my disagreement with the biblical side of it, that is a fairly moderate few, not quite so super conservative as the views you normally hear about on the news.

A fine example of someone who I may differ with on certain matters but still at least uses normal, rational logic to formulate said opinions. I have no problem with people disagreeing with me, it's all about the reason they do it. But even then, when the reason is way outside my tolerable skepticism, if the point being made still has at least some form of rationale, I'm okay with it. It's when people get insane about their views that gets to me. Like Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh, who are in the business of completely warping words and making headlines with the results.

See, if you came on here and said something to the effect of how gay marriage would lead to animal marriage or something, we'd have a problem. Lol. Your opinion has a basis in reality.

Back
Top Bottom