Apple: Vista May Corrupt iPods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CIID=72577&eid=4&edate=20070205
Apple: Vista May Corrupt iPods

Apple is warning customers who use the Windows version of its iTunes software to hold off upgrading to Windows Vista until it can release a patch to fix a number of serious compatibility issues, one of which could result in a corrupt iPod player.

Apple Computer is warning customers who use the Windows version of its iTunes software to hold off upgrading to Windows Vista until it can release a patch to fix a number of serious compatibility issues, one of which could result in a corrupt iPod player.

Apple, in a statement posted on its Web support forum, says upgrading from Windows 2000 or Windows XP to Vista may result in the inability to play songs purchased and downloaded to the desktop iTunes player from its online iTunes store.

Worse, however, is the problem that iPod users could encounter if they try to eject their digital music player from a desktop port using the "Safely Remove Hardware" feature found on the Vista system tray. That, Apple warns ominously, "may corrupt your iPod."

Apple says the safe way to undock an iPod from a Vista-equipped PC, until a patch is released, is to be sure and use the "Eject iPod" control in the iTunes software.

Apple says the problems will be fixed when it releases the next version of iTunes "within a few weeks."

Until then, PC-using iPod customers could experience a number of other problems if they're running Vista, including contacts and calendars that won't synch with their iPods and problems making changes to iPod settings.

In the meantime, some users report that they can get downloaded iTunes songs to play on Vista if they right-click on the iTunes.exe program, select Properties, click on the Compatibility tab, and check "Run This Program As An Administrator."

Maybe it's better to just wait for the update.

3 in 1 MP3 players are iPODs. YOu think that Microsoft would of realised this problem a long time ago during beta testing.......
Or did they?

Apple needs to get ready for Microsoft's release. Vista started in like 2005, and it wasn't released for awhile after. Apple should've been ready. If Ipod users weren't such idiots (sorry guys), they would use an alternative program, like Winamp.

talldude123 said:
Apple needs to get ready for Microsoft's release. Vista started in like 2005, and it wasn't released for awhile after. Apple should've been ready. If Ipod users weren't such idiots (sorry guys), they would use an alternative program, like Winamp.

Yeah, like how? Firstly, until Jan 30, the Beta release was the only thing avalable. And when it comes down to beta releases, nothing is certain.

Secondly, really don't think that microsoft would just free over an advanced copy of final Vista Release over to Apple just so they can fine turn iTUNEs.

As I recall, when it comes down to the DRM on iPODs, the only choice that iPODs users have is iTUNES. (correct me if I am wrong iTUNE users). So it's not like they can just get a copy of Win Amp.

Apple Releases Patch, but still have problems

Here's an update

http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CIID=72674&eid=4&edate=20070206
Apple Releases Vista Compatibility Patch For iTunes, But Problems Remain

Apple's iTunes Repair Tool for Vista 1.0, posted to the computer maker's Web site, is designed to repair problems in playing songs downloaded from the iTunes Store.

Apple has released a patch designed to fix a compatibility problem between its iTunes music player software and Microsoft's new Windows Vista operating system.

Apple's iTunes Repair Tool for Vista 1.0, posted to the computer maker's Web site over the weekend, is designed to "repair permissions for important files required by iTunes to play your iTunes Store purchases," according to Apple.

In blog postings, iTunes users who upgraded their personal computers to Windows Vista reported receiving error messages when attempting to play songs on their PCs that were purchased and downloaded from the iTunes Store.

The patch, however, does not address what Apple says are more serious compatibility issues between iTunes, its iPod digital music player, and Windows Vista. Apple is warning iTunes and iPod customers to hold off upgrading their PCs to Microsoft's new operating system until it issues a more comprehensive fix.

Apple says iPod users could corrupt their digital music players if they try to eject the devices from a desktop port using the "Safely Remove Hardware" feature found on the Vista system tray. Apple says the only safe way to undock an iPod from a Vista-equipped PC, for now, is to use the "Eject iPod" control in the iTunes software.

Apple says iPod customers could experience a number of other problems if they're running Vista, including contacts and calendars that won't sync with their iPods and problems making changes to iPod settings.

Apple, in a posting on its support forum, said the problems will be fixed when it releases the next version of iTunes "within a few weeks."

And more new on this problem

http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CIID=72776
Samsung Joins Apple In Vista Troubles

Smaller Korean manufacturers also have reported similar compatibility problems.

Samsung Electronics has reportedly found that some of its digital music players are incompatible with Microsoft's Vista.

A Samsung official told the Yonhap News Agency in South Korea that the company's tests show that some of its MP3 models aren't being recognised by Vista, the latest version of Windows that Microsoft shipped to consumers at the end of last month. Samsung officials were unavailable for comment on Tuesday.

Smaller Korean manufacturers also have reported similar problems, according to Yonhap. Those companies include ReignCom and Cowon Systems.

Apple last weekend posted on its Web site a patch for a compatibility problem between its iTunes music player software and Vista. The fix was needed to enable the software to play purchases from the iTunes music store.

The patch, however, didn't correct more serious problems between iTunes, the iPod digital music player, and Windows Vista. Apple said iPod users could corrupt their players if they tried to eject the devices from a desktop port using the hardware-remove feature in Vista. As a workaround, Apple recommended using the iPod ejection control in the iTunes software. Apple expected to fix the problem in the next version of iTunes, which is scheduled to ship in a few weeks.

And it's not just Apple that has been having promblems. However from the looks of it, samsung is just having some driver issues. At least Samsung users are not geting their content corrupted........ yet.

well im not on the iPod band wagon thank god. serves em right i say! i out of all of my friends the vast majority owns iPods. i Have an old RCA, and i will upgrade to a creative zen soon.

I was a genious and bought a new computer and an ipod in the same weekend a week ago. They better fix this problem soon (they say in the next couple of weeks) or ill never be able to put songs onto my new toyz..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom