AMD recalls 3,000 Opterons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CIID=37227&eid=4&edate=20060501
AMD recalls 3,000 Opterons

AMD on Friday sent notices to OEMs and system builders that it is recalling 3000 Opteron processors which may not work properly under "extreme conditions".

The news sent system builders scrambling to get more information from the vendor and find out if any of their customers are affected.

The single-core Opteron x52 and x54 processors in question were produced in late 2005 and early 2006.

According to the AMD notice, the company identified a "test escape" that occurred on a limited number of the Opterons.

A "test escape" occurs when a product has passed all outgoing tests applied at the time of manufacture, "but which may produce unexpected results under highly specific and unforeseen conditions," AMD said.

The company determined that the processors "may not meet the designated frequency for their clock-speed rating when running floating point-intensive, non-commercial applications under extreme conditions."

The AMD notice, provided to CRN by an AMD company spokesperson, said that the processors were observed to produce inconsistent results upon the convergence of three simultaneous events: the running of floating point-intensive code sequences with high CPU temperatures and high ambient temperatures.

The problem produced in a test environment has not yet been observed in a production environment, according to the notice.

AMD is working with its OEMs and system builders to contact end-users who may have acquired one of the processors in questions to offer them a free replacement processor.

Just some thing that you might want to be aware of.
To all those pro-Intel people here, lets not turn this thread into a AMD Sledging Match.

Core temperatures have a big part to do with it.
my AMD 3000+ was running at 82c, it was still working.
i have upgraded since then and the 3800+ runs at a lower temperature under higher core temps too.
one model going wrong i suppose can be forgiven i suppose.

I wonder if they get a better replacement.
as in better CPU speed wise *ponders*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom