Alright so it isnt new news that Windows 7 Build 7000 is the Beta. it also isnt new news that it went public just 2 days after the official testers got their hands on it. But lets go over what we have so far.
First the Taskbar is the new one by default. No special tricks needed. Aero Peek is in full effect. Aero Snap is also in this. The desktop slideshow is working beautifully.
So let me show what i just said. This is the new taskbar in full effect:
Now Aero Snap isnt as easy to show. But once you drag and Snap a window to a corner or a side you should see a border go to the full Windows screen while you still have the mouse button held down. That is Aero Snap.
Now on to some other features that I find great. The Libraries is a new feature. Now many will dislike it. Cause once you click on the Explorer Icon in the taskbar it brings up the libraries. Now at first i hated this and wanted just Computer to show up. But then i found this.
Now what this is and does is great for many of us. This is the Libraries page. This allows you to pick and choose what you want included in your Libraries area when you click on either Documents, Music, Pictures, or Videos. Now i know what you are saying, “But we can already do this with the folders created by Windows.” Here is why it is so great. IF you have other drives where you store your music, pictures, videos, and documents you can ADD them to the library without having to relocate the default Windows folders. All you do is click the button for Library Locations and just simply Add your drive and or partition.
Now once you go to save a picture all your libraries will open up and boom you can auto select instead of having it save to the default Pictures folder. You can select any folder you want in the Library. So since i have all of my stuff stored on a different drive and different partitions cause of my multi-boot setup i can easily just add these to my Library and be able to use them on any system without issue.
If you do this with your music and video, they will be automatically added to your Library in Windows Media Player. No need to have it search or add it thru WMP. It is already done.
You can also add folders from your other OS’s if you dual boot or multi-boot to this so you can have a single location for all your material. Useful for some, others will hate it.
Usability of this build is great in my honest opinion. Since i downloaded it and installed it I have only used it. Some software doesnt work, Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120% are the easiest to find up front. But there is replacement that does work. Virtual Clone Drive and PrismoMount. Nero can be a bugger, but CDBurnerXP works fantastic. That along with DVDShrink, ConvertXtoDVD, and DVDFab 5 there isnt much need for Nero anymore.
Along with that there are some bugs.
- If you right click and try to add a icon to your taskbar when there is 4 icons it wont work. You will have to drag and drop.
- If you dual boot or multi-boot with a previous version of Windows it might not be assigned a drive letter. You will have to do it manually through the Disk Management screen.
- Visual Basic does NOT install. I have tried and tried but i cant get it.
- Windows Live Essentials can fail on some systems. Not sure why but it wont install. No matter what you try. Only solution found is a format and reinstall.
- There is a glitch with the Slideshow. If you select a folder and not every file in the folder, chances are when you come back from sleep mode you will have a black wallpaper. For some reason if you dont select all it stops.
- If you disable UAC you will lose your Gadgets. It must be on for Gadgets to work.
- Steam has been known to cause some glitches with the Notification Icons in the lower right hand coerner by the clock.
That is about all I can think of at this time. Live Mesh is good on this build. Using it myself. There was a bug where it would take over your Aero Theme but they have updated the build and it doesnt do that now. Other than that there isnt much else to say.
The rest of it i covered in my Review of Build 6801
with the Themes and all the other additions back then. They are still here. So i will just end this with saying i love the direction it is going. I have submitted at least a half dozen items for feedback, i know for sure 1 went on to be a bug.
So enjoy the public Beta everyone. Windows 7 is shaping up to be the best Windows yet!