Samsung Galaxy Tab WiFi Only - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > Official TF Reviews
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-01-2011, 09:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
acerinpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,838
Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab WiFi Only

Thank you.... that helps alot. Ya, the whole paying monthly for the 3G sucks- but what are you going to do.
__________________

acerinpa is offline  
Old 07-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
 
KSoD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: C:\
Posts: 35,647
Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab WiFi Only

Well there are WiFi HotSpots, there is Tethering, there is a whole world of options out there. There is no need to be connected to the internet 24/7 with every device owned. I know this cause I prove it daily with my use of my WiFi only Tablet. Why do you have to have a tablet connected? You already have a phone connected.

I mean there is plenty to do on such a tablet without WiFi. Just the amount of games alone that can be played that dont require net access is beyond belief. I would seriously question why 3G access is required more than question what I would do about having to pay another bill for 3G when it isnt completely necessary.

To me that is the biggest concern with your statements. You dont even consider anything less than constant access despite the fact there is so much you can do on the tablet without connectivity. Even when I have access, less than half of the time it is in use it is online. I do so much more with this thing offline than I do online. The biggest problem is that people have to stop thinking of Tablets and devices like them as just big phones to connect to their friends with. It is so much more than that.
__________________

__________________
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

KSoD is offline  
Old 07-01-2011, 12:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Private Joker
 
carnageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,507
Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab WiFi Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSoD View Post
I mean there is plenty to do on such a tablet without WiFi. Just the amount of games alone that can be played that dont require net access is beyond belief. I would seriously question why 3G access is required more than question what I would do about having to pay another bill for 3G when it isnt completely necessary.

To me that is the biggest concern with your statements. You dont even consider anything less than constant access despite the fact there is so much you can do on the tablet without connectivity. Even when I have access, less than half of the time it is in use it is online. I do so much more with this thing offline than I do online. The biggest problem is that people have to stop thinking of Tablets and devices like them as just big phones to connect to their friends with. It is so much more than that.
Depends on what the user's intent for use is. If it's just having a tablet to have one (for pleasure), then yeah, being constantly connected isn't important.

However, business applications (salesmen traveling, repair techs, etc.) in various industries would require you to be constantly connected with the business (e.g. e-mail client, some sort of business integration software, some sort of parts inventory/lookup system, etc).
__________________
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5


If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline  
Old 07-01-2011, 12:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
 
patonb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In Gov't Regulated Cubical
Posts: 9,745
Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab WiFi Only

BT Teathering really makes a 3g eciever redundant. But I do see why wanting it from the get go.

My mom got an ipad 2 with 3g, yet has no plans right now to connect, but no idea what the future holds.
__________________
Foldie = i5 6600kMSI Z170A M5 EVGA 970 SC Corsair H100 Corsair hx520 2x8gb GSkill Corsair 650D
Woohoo = L5639 @3.1Ghz EVGA SR-2 gtx 260-216 Hyper 212+ Corsair 1050hx 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 Blackhawk Ulra
Alienware 18 - SLI 770M 4700mq 16Gig

patonb is offline  
Old 07-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
 
KSoD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: C:\
Posts: 35,647
Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab WiFi Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Depends on what the user's intent for use is. If it's just having a tablet to have one (for pleasure), then yeah, being constantly connected isn't important.

However, business applications (salesmen traveling, repair techs, etc.) in various industries would require you to be constantly connected with the business (e.g. e-mail client, some sort of business integration software, some sort of parts inventory/lookup system, etc).
Clearly this is not the intent since Acerinpa already stated it was for use on vacation and when their activities are going on. So clearly this isnt a business use at all. Even then, there are still plenty of places to go to get WiFi while traveling to have access. Not to mention the fact of tethering on your already paid for business phone and business data plan. At that point, the business is also paying for the data on this device so who really cares. My whole point is still the fact that 3G is not required to use such a device.

Even when I have taken mine with me to work to show the difference between my 7" Samsung and the 10.1" models we have, there was still no need for net access on the device. Since we dont have WiFi in store. When I wanted to hook it to the net, i just tethered it and BAM. Facebook and emails all updated within a minute. I do it everyday without 3G connectivity. It isnt hard at all to find a local coffee house and get access to their free WiFi or some other place of business that will allow you to use it for a minute. To have an extra bill for 3G is senseless. I have yet to find any real reason, even for a business user, that requires 3G and constant connectivity.

Business integration software would be written for Windows, not iOS or Android. Parts/Inventory listing is just as easily accessed on an already paid for smart phone that the person is using, defeating the purpose of having a tablet and 3G plan for it. Email is the same thing. Sorry but I dont see why a tablet would require 3G. It can just as easily be used without it and be more portable than a laptop.
__________________
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

KSoD is offline  
Old 07-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
acerinpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,838
Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab WiFi Only

Ya, no business application here- but that is a good point for other people . She ( the wife) just wants to do internet and e-mail stuff while waiting for the kids or at the kids activities that are too far away to drive back and forth. I don't think "Tethering" is an option - whatever that is. At this time neither of our phones are smart phones which makes the mobile phone bill very cheap - less than $80 for our 2 phones with unlimited text. Another question: is there any way to use this or any other tablet device as a monitor for a PS3 when you travel? If not - any other monitor suggestions to use with a PS3 while in a van or motel room would be appreciated - I guess I should just start another thread asking about this other topic.
acerinpa is offline  
Old 07-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Private Joker
 
carnageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,507
Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab WiFi Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSoD View Post
Clearly this is not the intent since Acerinpa already stated it was for use on vacation and when their activities are going on. So clearly this isnt a business use at all.
I didn't say it was for Acerinpa, I was just talking in general :P.

Quote:
Even then, there are still plenty of places to go to get WiFi while traveling to have access. Not to mention the fact of tethering on your already paid for business phone and business data plan. At that point, the business is also paying for the data on this device so who really cares. My whole point is still the fact that 3G is not required to use such a device.
This is entirely location based. Yeah, if you're in a big enough city yeah, it wouldn't be a problem. What about places like where I live? Here it's mostly open land and fields? At least 30-60 miles from the nearest city in some places. Gonna be pretty hard to pick up a wifi signal then, eh? In this instance then yes, it would be beneficial to have 3G-enabled device.

As for tethering, depends on the device and carrier. BlackBerry, yeah tethering is easy. Android for Verizon (the main carrier around here), you need to pay an extra $20 a month for the tethering option, unless you want to root your phone and do wifi tether for root, or something like PDANet (non-root, but is tether across USB for a computer). Both of which technically potentially violate VZW's TOS. Plus, unless you can get the install files from online and know what you're doing, you won't be able to get the tether applications because they are disabled in the market because VZW requested Google to do so.

Quote:
Business integration software would be written for Windows, not iOS or Android.
Depends on the business and their software. Depending on the business, they may have written applications for Android/iOS to work with their existing software. I'm not saying for a fact that it is, I'm just stating there could be internal applications that we as the general public don't necessarily have access to.

Quote:
Parts/Inventory listing is just as easily accessed on an already paid for smart phone that the person is using, defeating the purpose of having a tablet and 3G plan for it. Email is the same thing. Sorry but I dont see why a tablet would require 3G. It can just as easily be used without it and be more portable than a laptop.
So why even buy a tablet in the first place? If you can do everything with an existing smartphone or a laptop, why buy one? Going by this, I fail to see the need to even buy a tablet in the first place. But are businesses still doing it? Yes they are. Do they necessarily need them? No, but they're still doing it.

Like I said, it's more of a pleasure thing and not a necessity. Yes, I agree with you that being connected all the time with all of your devices isn't necessary, and that wifi (if available) is free and faster. People still do it though, and it's up to them if they want to, no matter how much we think a terrible idea it is.


Quote:
Originally Posted by acerinpa View Post
Ya, no business application here- but that is a good point for other people . She ( the wife) just wants to do internet and e-mail stuff while waiting for the kids or at the kids activities that are too far away to drive back and forth. I don't think "Tethering" is an option - whatever that is. At this time neither of our phones are smart phones which makes the mobile phone bill very cheap - less than $80 for our 2 phones with unlimited text. Another question: is there any way to use this or any other tablet device as a monitor for a PS3 when you travel? If not - any other monitor suggestions to use with a PS3 while in a van or motel room would be appreciated - I guess I should just start another thread asking about this other topic.
Unless it has an HDMI or other video input, then no. Most android tablets have outputs to display to another device like a TV, but no inputs. Maybe some of the other tablets have inputs, but I can't say for certain.
__________________
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5


If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline  
Old 07-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
acerinpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,838
Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab WiFi Only

OK - looked up "tethering" and my initial thought was correct- you need a smart phone on a 3G network already which we don't have. So, back to paying for the 3G on the tablet. I like the idea of the Ipad 3G network being able to be turned on/off on a month to month basis. I have a feeling the rest will be contracts for 1 year or more. But I definitely prefer non-Ipad tablets due to Netflicks being free and other Flash software problems on Ipads.
acerinpa is offline  
Old 07-01-2011, 05:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
Private Joker
 
carnageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,507
Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab WiFi Only

Look at plans for the different carriers in your area and see if they have stuff like pay as you go for mobile data, or a montly plan rather than yearly contracts for them.
__________________

__________________
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5


If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Li-Ion Battery Recharging (Samsung Galaxy S) Crofalcon Phones, Tablets, and other Handheld Devices 6 11-15-2010 07:26 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.