Samsung Galaxy Tab WiFi Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you.... that helps alot. Ya, the whole paying monthly for the 3G sucks- but what are you going to do.

Well there are WiFi HotSpots, there is Tethering, there is a whole world of options out there. There is no need to be connected to the internet 24/7 with every device owned. I know this cause I prove it daily with my use of my WiFi only Tablet. Why do you have to have a tablet connected? You already have a phone connected.

I mean there is plenty to do on such a tablet without WiFi. Just the amount of games alone that can be played that dont require net access is beyond belief. I would seriously question why 3G access is required more than question what I would do about having to pay another bill for 3G when it isnt completely necessary.

To me that is the biggest concern with your statements. You dont even consider anything less than constant access despite the fact there is so much you can do on the tablet without connectivity. Even when I have access, less than half of the time it is in use it is online. I do so much more with this thing offline than I do online. The biggest problem is that people have to stop thinking of Tablets and devices like them as just big phones to connect to their friends with. It is so much more than that.

I mean there is plenty to do on such a tablet without WiFi. Just the amount of games alone that can be played that dont require net access is beyond belief. I would seriously question why 3G access is required more than question what I would do about having to pay another bill for 3G when it isnt completely necessary.

To me that is the biggest concern with your statements. You dont even consider anything less than constant access despite the fact there is so much you can do on the tablet without connectivity. Even when I have access, less than half of the time it is in use it is online. I do so much more with this thing offline than I do online. The biggest problem is that people have to stop thinking of Tablets and devices like them as just big phones to connect to their friends with. It is so much more than that.

Depends on what the user's intent for use is. If it's just having a tablet to have one (for pleasure), then yeah, being constantly connected isn't important.

However, business applications (salesmen traveling, repair techs, etc.) in various industries would require you to be constantly connected with the business (e.g. e-mail client, some sort of business integration software, some sort of parts inventory/lookup system, etc).

BT Teathering really makes a 3g eciever redundant. But I do see why wanting it from the get go.

My mom got an ipad 2 with 3g, yet has no plans right now to connect, but no idea what the future holds.

Depends on what the user's intent for use is. If it's just having a tablet to have one (for pleasure), then yeah, being constantly connected isn't important.

However, business applications (salesmen traveling, repair techs, etc.) in various industries would require you to be constantly connected with the business (e.g. e-mail client, some sort of business integration software, some sort of parts inventory/lookup system, etc).

Clearly this is not the intent since Acerinpa already stated it was for use on vacation and when their activities are going on. So clearly this isnt a business use at all. Even then, there are still plenty of places to go to get WiFi while traveling to have access. Not to mention the fact of tethering on your already paid for business phone and business data plan. At that point, the business is also paying for the data on this device so who really cares. My whole point is still the fact that 3G is not required to use such a device.

Even when I have taken mine with me to work to show the difference between my 7" Samsung and the 10.1" models we have, there was still no need for net access on the device. Since we dont have WiFi in store. When I wanted to hook it to the net, i just tethered it and BAM. Facebook and emails all updated within a minute. I do it everyday without 3G connectivity. It isnt hard at all to find a local coffee house and get access to their free WiFi or some other place of business that will allow you to use it for a minute. To have an extra bill for 3G is senseless. I have yet to find any real reason, even for a business user, that requires 3G and constant connectivity.

Business integration software would be written for Windows, not iOS or Android. Parts/Inventory listing is just as easily accessed on an already paid for smart phone that the person is using, defeating the purpose of having a tablet and 3G plan for it. Email is the same thing. Sorry but I dont see why a tablet would require 3G. It can just as easily be used without it and be more portable than a laptop.

Ya, no business application here- but that is a good point for other people . She ( the wife) just wants to do internet and e-mail stuff while waiting for the kids or at the kids activities that are too far away to drive back and forth. I don't think "Tethering" is an option - whatever that is. At this time neither of our phones are smart phones which makes the mobile phone bill very cheap - less than $80 for our 2 phones with unlimited text. Another question: is there any way to use this or any other tablet device as a monitor for a PS3 when you travel? If not - any other monitor suggestions to use with a PS3 while in a van or motel room would be appreciated - I guess I should just start another thread asking about this other topic.

Clearly this is not the intent since Acerinpa already stated it was for use on vacation and when their activities are going on. So clearly this isnt a business use at all.
I didn't say it was for Acerinpa, I was just talking in general :p.

Even then, there are still plenty of places to go to get WiFi while traveling to have access. Not to mention the fact of tethering on your already paid for business phone and business data plan. At that point, the business is also paying for the data on this device so who really cares. My whole point is still the fact that 3G is not required to use such a device.
This is entirely location based. Yeah, if you're in a big enough city yeah, it wouldn't be a problem. What about places like where I live? Here it's mostly open land and fields? At least 30-60 miles from the nearest city in some places. Gonna be pretty hard to pick up a wifi signal then, eh? In this instance then yes, it would be beneficial to have 3G-enabled device.

As for tethering, depends on the device and carrier. BlackBerry, yeah tethering is easy. Android for Verizon (the main carrier around here), you need to pay an extra $20 a month for the tethering option, unless you want to root your phone and do wifi tether for root, or something like PDANet (non-root, but is tether across USB for a computer). Both of which technically potentially violate VZW's TOS. Plus, unless you can get the install files from online and know what you're doing, you won't be able to get the tether applications because they are disabled in the market because VZW requested Google to do so.

Business integration software would be written for Windows, not iOS or Android.
Depends on the business and their software. Depending on the business, they may have written applications for Android/iOS to work with their existing software. I'm not saying for a fact that it is, I'm just stating there could be internal applications that we as the general public don't necessarily have access to.

Parts/Inventory listing is just as easily accessed on an already paid for smart phone that the person is using, defeating the purpose of having a tablet and 3G plan for it. Email is the same thing. Sorry but I dont see why a tablet would require 3G. It can just as easily be used without it and be more portable than a laptop.

So why even buy a tablet in the first place? If you can do everything with an existing smartphone or a laptop, why buy one? Going by this, I fail to see the need to even buy a tablet in the first place. But are businesses still doing it? Yes they are. Do they necessarily need them? No, but they're still doing it.

Like I said, it's more of a pleasure thing and not a necessity. Yes, I agree with you that being connected all the time with all of your devices isn't necessary, and that wifi (if available) is free and faster. People still do it though, and it's up to them if they want to, no matter how much we think a terrible idea it is.

Ya, no business application here- but that is a good point for other people . She ( the wife) just wants to do internet and e-mail stuff while waiting for the kids or at the kids activities that are too far away to drive back and forth. I don't think "Tethering" is an option - whatever that is. At this time neither of our phones are smart phones which makes the mobile phone bill very cheap - less than $80 for our 2 phones with unlimited text. Another question: is there any way to use this or any other tablet device as a monitor for a PS3 when you travel? If not - any other monitor suggestions to use with a PS3 while in a van or motel room would be appreciated - I guess I should just start another thread asking about this other topic.

Unless it has an HDMI or other video input, then no. Most android tablets have outputs to display to another device like a TV, but no inputs. Maybe some of the other tablets have inputs, but I can't say for certain.

OK - looked up "tethering" and my initial thought was correct- you need a smart phone on a 3G network already which we don't have. So, back to paying for the 3G on the tablet. I like the idea of the Ipad 3G network being able to be turned on/off on a month to month basis. I have a feeling the rest will be contracts for 1 year or more. But I definitely prefer non-Ipad tablets due to Netflicks being free and other Flash software problems on Ipads.

Look at plans for the different carriers in your area and see if they have stuff like pay as you go for mobile data, or a montly plan rather than yearly contracts for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom