PIA (Private Internet Access) Review. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > Official TF Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2016, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Residential Loon

Thumbs up PIA (Private Internet Access) Review.

After signing up to PIA (Private Internet Access) I have found their services to be very reliable and cost effective and for what you get for the price of a 12 month subscription as being the reviewer in my opinion is very much worth it.

I have found increasingly I have relied on the service for on line anonymity and specifically their no log handling procedure of your personal data. The company PIA has multiple servers around the world and can accommodate many forms of on line services for which they provide anonymity. Android, Linux, Windows, iOS.

Setting up in Linux is a breeze but will require CLI (Command Line Interface) Knowledge in order to download the OpenVPN framework and distribution files. For those that wish to use the CLI only this is an option for example hardcore users of bash for example under Nix* .

Recently Russia changed their policy on the handling on Data and on line services and PIA as of the time of writing this article pulled their Russian presence as law changes meant that information was to be logged I believe and their for did not coincide with their policy of no logging of users personal data. This in my opinion gives peace of mind.

Their is an active on line forum and user data base and customer service Representatives are able to respond quickly to customers requests using tickets available placed Via. E Mail.

The company it self also accepts many payment option and options include prepay debit cards and check's for anonymity if you with to set up a temp E Mail address to keep your self fully hidden even from the company it self.

The Android App is easy to install and can be downloaded Via. Play Store, set up and configured and along with various options has a kill switch to block all traffic in case the VPN drops.

As well as supporting P2P, SOCKS5 PROXY you also get unlimited bandwidth and it has WiFi encryption capabilities. For those that know the entire WiFi framework and construct is another beast all in all and their for secure access across networks using your mobile, you can at least breath easy as it supports AES256 Standards.

They have 3465 + Servers across the world from Asia, to Germany to north America.

Another big thing is they dont censor your access and you can can by pass geographic location restrictions with their software.

My advice would be everyone needs a VPN and everyone also who wishes to use a VPN needs to do research on the laws in their own country because if routing your connection threw servers for speed for example threw their servers in you country you may run in too problems if the law asks questions. Lets be honest thats why a lot of people use VPNs. On line Anonymity and protection from prying eyes. They hold no log files.

---------------

DISCLAIMER:

If in the future PIA begins to log traffic at the time of writing this what I have said is correct so dont blame me if something goes pare shaped.

---------------

Spud1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: PIA (Private Internet Access) Review.

Nice review. I know its a bit old but I use PIA on all my machines with Windows 10 and I have found it is the best (not super expensive) vpn service. It works well, speed is not noticeably decreased and it is easy to use.

sleepy3103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Residential Loon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy3103 View Post
Nice review. I know its a bit old but I use PIA on all my machines with Windows 10 and I have found it is the best (not super expensive) vpn service. It works well, speed is not noticeably decreased and it is easy to use.
This review when ever I have looked at it I cringe because I remember writing it when I was very tired and I could of done a lot better and more a bit more effort in. Being honest for a moment I wouldn't be bothered if the mods or admins deleted it because its not very good overall. Their was a lot of information I could have included but if I do remember correctly when I wrote it I had went to bed afterwards as I was shattered. I personally didn't rate it my self and its my review. I could of done a better job.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud1200 View Post
This review when ever I have looked at it I cringe because I remember writing it when I was very tired and I could of done a lot better and more a bit more effort in. Being honest for a moment I wouldn't be bothered if the mods or admins deleted it because its not very good overall. Their was a lot of information I could have included but if I do remember correctly when I wrote it I had went to bed afterwards as I was shattered. I personally didn't rate it my self and its my review. I could of done a better job.
Rewrite it and PM it to me and I will edit the original post for you.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Residential Loon

A lot of people are going Crazy on PIA Forums as of recently and their is Zero support from Customer Service. Being an Independent review when I made this Review I too am also jumping ship at the end of this month when my subscription ends. If you take out a subscription with PIA its on your own authority and decision.

Their are disconnects galore happening with their servers and their android device is crashing left rite and centre. Not recognising peoples user name and password and their servers are not recognising people as being from the physical location of were the server is based. People are being geo blocked left rite and centre.

My recommendation is to move away from PIA and use an alternative.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

PIA has gone downhill since Sept 2015 IMO!
chara33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techyy View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. How much does the 12 month subscription cost ?
It's $40 / year.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

never trusted PIA, think NSA/CIA been all up in them for years!
Old 09-16-2017, 11:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulezero View Post
never trusted PIA, think NSA/CIA been all up in them for years!
They have sucked for yrs as well.

chara33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forums, openvpn, security, tech support