P3 International Kill A Watt EZ P4460 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > Official TF Reviews
Closed Thread
Old 08-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Default P3 International Kill A Watt EZ P4460

P3 International Kill A Watt EZ P4460
By: Dan Durland
July 31, 2010

Today I'm looking at the Kill A Watt EZ from P3 International, a user-friendly power meter that enables people to calculate the cost to use their home appliances. Founded in 1987, P3 International has a wide variety of products in Home Electronics, Outdoor Living, Weather and Security. P3 - Home

The Kill A Watt EZ comes packaged in a tamper-proof, sealed, pre-formed plastic enclosure. The front of the packaging reveals the unit and its basic features while the back of the packaging reveals a brief description and the basic specifications.

Project costs by Hour, Day, Week, Month or Year
Shows the operating costs of your household appliances
Accurate within 0.2%
Large LCD display
ETL Approved
Displays ten critical units of measurements
Voltage (Volts)
Current (Amps)
Watts (Watt)
Kilowatt Hours (KWH)
Frequency (Hz)
Volt Amps (VA)
Power Factor (PF)
Elapsed Time
Model - P4460
Operating Voltage - 115 VAC
Max. Voltage - 125 VAC
Max. Current - 15A
Max. Power - 1875 VA
Weight - 5 oz.
Dimensions - 5-1/8"H x 2-1/2"W x 1-1/2"D

Opening the packaging requires a pair of sissors or a sharp knife, once that is accomplished you have the unit itself and the users manual.

Test Setup

While the Kill A Watt EZ can be used on any Electronic Device operating on 120 vac, I'll be performing my evaluation using my Office Workstation with the following Specifications.
Intel i7 920 @ 4.0 GHz
12 GB (6x2GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
Corsair 750 watt Power Supply
Seagate SATA 250 GB Hard Drive
Blu-ray and DVD Burner
Generic 22" 1680 x 1050 Monitor
(1) 140mm, (6) 120mm, (3) 100mm Case Fans
APC Back-UPS XS 800
Windows XP x64

To perform my evaluation I'll plug the Kill A Watt EZ into an electrical outlet and plug my APC Back-UPS XS 800 into the Kill A Watt EZ. Next I'll press and hold the Reset key on the Kill A Watt EZ until "rESt" appears momentarily on the LCD screen. This deletes any previous measurements that may have been stored in the Kill A Watt EZ's memory. I can now turn on my computer and the Kill A Watt EZ will start monitoring the electrical usage. For Load Testing I'll be running 3DMark06 to simulate a Gaming Environment.

I ran 3DMark06 a few times and then I did some basic office work to give the Kill A Watt EZ some time to collect a few hours worth of data. I then programmed in the cost of electricity per KWH which is $.095 or 9.5 cents in my area. To set the rate you press and hold the "SET" key until "Rate" is displayed and the current value is flashing. Adjust this value with the "UP" and "DOWN" keys until the value matches your price per KWH. To save this value press and hold the "SET" key until "SAVE" is displayed. This value will now be the default, even if you reset the unit this value will remain until you assign it a new value.

Basic Measurements
Press the "MENU" key until "Volt" is displayed in the LCD. Pressing the "UP" and "Down" keys will cycle you through the various values (Volts, Hz, VA, AMP, P.F., KWH, Watts). The Watt values shown are at idle and higher video loads.

To view the Cost data press the "MENU" key until "Cost" is displayed in the LCD. Then you can use the "UP" and "DOWN" keys to cycle thru the various time settings (Hour, Day, Week, Month or Year)

Final Thoughts / Rating

• Low Cost ($20-$30)
  • Simple User Interface
  • Large LCD Readout
  • Works with any 120v Device
  • Paper Manual

With it's simple user interface and low price ($20-$30 US) the Kill A Watt EZ is a handy device that could find a useful purpose in every home. I'm awarding the P3 International Kill A Watt EZ P4460 a 5 Star Rating
I would like to thank P3 International and Tech-Forums for allowing me to review this product

Old 08-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Almighty Forensica
Default Re: P3 International Kill A Watt EZ P4460

I've been thinking of picking up one of the Kill-a-Watts, and I think I will now ^_^

Desktop i5-4440 - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - EVGA GTX970 - 4x4GB 1600MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Be Silent Base 800 - 3TB+1TB+640GB
Laptop i7-3740QM @ 2.7GHz, 2x4GB 1600Mhz, GT640M, OCZ Agility 3 120GB
Smartphone HTC One M8 - Sense 7 - 6.0

Uni MSci Ethical Hacking, Coventry University
Work Trainee Cell Site Analyst
LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Old 08-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Not a terrible review on a nifty piece of kit.

Though for me nowadays I just use the digital readout on the "Smart" meters they're been using lately.
If I help you with something, you think I'm the bomb, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the star under my post.

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 08-24-2010, 01:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

I was thinking about buying one of those but I didn't, I should buy one now. It looks like a really useful device for measuring power consumption and efficiency. It could also help you balance high load circuits by reading the amps, if your circuits support 20A or 15A each you can make sure you're not close to kicking a circuit breaker by running too much stuff.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

Say, what is the difference between the P4400 and the P4460?
at amazon, its $19 vs $29
Amazon.com: P3 International: Electronics

and newegg is $33 but free shipping...
Newegg.com - P3 International P4460 Kill A Watt EZ Electricity Usage Monitor

PS. homedepot $29 and lowes $35 have them too

will be fun seeing what electric items in my home and office cost the most
Old 08-26-2010, 07:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Say, what is the difference between the P4400 and the P4460?
at amazon, its $19 vs $29
There about the same. The P4460 allows you to program in your power rate and it then calculates the cost of powering a device. With the P4400 you have to do the math yourself. Here's a link to the Kill A Watt homepage
P3 - Home

Closed Thread