OCZ SandForce 2200 based Firmware Fix
By: Dan Durland
A few days ago OCZ released a firmware fix for the BSOD/disconnect issue that affected SF-2200 based SSDs. If you have a SF-2200 based SSD (Vertex 3, Vertex 3 Max IOPS, Agility 3, Solid 3) and you are using it as your OS drive then you can download the Linux-based firmware updater .iso here
. This .iso file can be burnt to a CD or a usb flash drive. For detailed instructions you can visit this thread on the OCZ forums.
Bootable Tools for OCZ Vertex/2/3, Agility2/3, Solid3, Revo, and Ibis SSD's
If your drive is new with no Operating System installed or if it is being used as a data drive then you can download the Windows-based updater here
Issues resolved since firmware version 2.13
Known open issue
- Fixed a rare condition that may cause Windows Blue Screen error when the primary-configured drive woke up from either a SATA slumber mode or S3/S4 modes.
- Fixed a rare condition that may cause Windows Blue Screen error when the drive was configured as primary with OS installed.
- Fixed a corner-case issue that may cause the drive to stutter or Windows freezing screen when a media read occurred.
- Further improved robustness of Secure Erase operation to prevent possible low-level data structure corruption.
- Significantly improved TRIM handling to enhance system stability.
- Formatting a Raid1 volume takes longer than expected with PMC-Sierra BR-8 HBA
In my previous reviews of the Agility 3 and the Vertex 3 I have advised users to use the Microsoft AHCI driver to work around the Blue Screen Errors. Has my work-around worked for everyone? I really have no way of knowing that but it did work for me. Hopefully this new firmware will correct these problems for the masses. But I am still going to recommend using my work-around even after updating your firmware to version 2.15. Why you ask? Because the Microsoft AHCI SATA driver performs slightly better than the latest Intel driver as illustrated in the graphs below.
If you have a SF 2200 based SSD from a manufacturer other than OCZ you should expect an updated firmware for your drive very soon if it is not already available.