OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Platinum RAM
By: Mak213
TEST SYSTEM:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3GHz
Motherboard: Biostart TA785GE 128M
RAM: 4GB OCZ DDR2 1066MHz
Graphics Card: EVGA 8800GTS 320MB

INTRODUCTION

OCZ was the first to release DDR3 Intel Extreme Memory for the X38/48 Chipset, along with other high-compatibility and high-speed modules that were some of the fastest on the market. By breaking speed barriers and maintaining a reputation of quality, OCZ is a name enthusiasts have turned to time and time again for cutting-edge memory solutions.
OCZ Technology

RAM 101

RAM is short for Random Access Memory. It's a type of short term storage that is the middle item between what is seen on the user's monitor and what is done by the CPU (Central Processing Unit). When an action is performed on the user's PC, it first goes through the RAM and then onto the CPU where it is prioritized and then executed. This action typically happens in nano seconds, and thus is completely unnoticeable by the user.

All actions are then sent back through the RAM to the monitor where the selected action is then performed. The logic behind this is driven by the need to prioritise. Actions that are not classified as high priority are stored in the RAM till such a time where they can be performed without causing interruption to the CPU, while more urgent actions are sent through immediately. Today's CPU's are extremely fast, and often have more than one physical cpu (called a die) on each full CPU chip. Dual Cores (2 die's on a single chip), Tri Cores , Quad Cores and even Hexa Cores (6 dies on a single chip!) are now available. All that speed means the action being executed can take place so fast that it is not realized that the action performed goes through the RAM first.

This increase in CPU speed is one of the most important reasons to keep your ram up to date. A PC equipped with slow RAM will 'bottleneck' the system, not allowing the CPU to run as fast as it can. For example, a CPU capable of sending 10 instructions per second combined with RAM only capable of forwarding 2 instructions per second will only run as fast as the RAM lets it.

As well as helping with nearly every action your PC executes, RAM can be used for other purposes as well. When a document is first created but not saved, it is stored in your RAM till such a time that it is saved. If the document is not saved and your PC is powered down, it will be cleared from the RAM. Such is the outcome of anything that is stored in RAM; it stays there only for the duration that the program is in use or while the PC is in operation. Once a shut down or a restart is performed, or the program which was reserving the space in the RAM is closed, anything that was stored in the RAM at that time is lost and cannot be obtained again.

SPECIFICATIONS

• 1066MHz DDR2
• CL 5-5-5-18(CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)
• Available in 2GB Modules and 4GB (2x2048MB) Dual Channel Kits
• Unbuffered
• Platinum Z3 XTC Heatspreader
• OCZ Lifetime Warranty
• 2.1 - 2.2V
• 240 Pin DIMM

PRODUCT PICTURES

oczpackaging.jpg

rampic.jpg

cpuzocz1066.jpg
cpuzocz1066spd.jpg

TEST RESULTS

For this I have done 2 separate tests. First I ran the tests using my OLD GSkill 4GB DDR2-PC4200 RAM and then I ran the same tests using the OCZ DDR2-8500 RAM. I used Performance Test and Everest to get the results.

pftestgskill.jpg

pftestresultsgskill.jpg

Above are the tests from my old GSkill RAM Kit.

passmarkocz1066ram.jpg

passmarkocz1066.jpg

Above is the test results using the OCZ RAM. This was the testing performed with the Performance Test Software 64 Bit Trial Version.

everestgskill.jpg

The Everest Test using my old GSkill RAM.

everestocz1066.jpg

The Everest Test using the OCZ RAM.

TEST RESULTS GRAPH

pftestchart.jpg

everestchart.jpg

THOUGHTS

While the test results may not show a dramatic performance increase when using 4GB Dual Channel Kits of competing brands, the actual feel and speed of the system increased very noticeably. When doing file conversions using the Daniusoft Ultimate Converter Software I noticed that there was at least a 10% decrease in conversion times. Not a bad result considering the only part of my system that's changed since running the previous conversions is the RAM.

My system boots faster than it previously did. It opens and closes programs faster than it previously did. Overall the increase in RAM speed has helped my system operate more efficiently than it previously was.

CONCLUSION

OCZ has announced that they are looking into getting out of the RAM market, and I can honestly say that they will be sorely missed. I had my doubts when I started this undertaking as I personally didn't think that just upping my RAM speed from 533Mhz to 1066MHz would boost performance as much as it did. For those of you looking into doing some minor upgrades to your system and you're not using the fastest possible RAM that your mother board can support, something as simple as getting that RAM speed to the quickest possible is a nice way to get an extra boost from your machine with little cost.

RATING

4star.gif

I give the OCZ Platinum RAM a 4 Star Rating.

oczag2-logo.jpg

I would like to thank OCZ Technology for allowing Tech-Forums and myself the opportunity to review and evaluate the products. It was a real eye opener.

This is the 8th review posted and your just asking that question now? :lol: Not a single review has ever stated this exactly so i can understand the confusion, but really? 3 months after the first review is posted were finally asked. Classic.

Nice review! I've only had one set of RAM that wasn't OCZ (Corsair Dominators) and they didn't perform nearly close to the level that OCZ sticks have provided. The best part about OCZ, however, is their amazing customer service and warranties.

I see what Yami's saying though. People might come across these reviews from external sources and not be familiar with the rating system, therefore a */* might not be a bad idea...just my 2 cents.

Good review. I've not had an issue with mine. The only issue I had were timing problems due to my motherboard. But at 4GB it runs solid at 1066Mhz in one channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom