Status
Not open for further replies.

KSoD

Call me Mak or K, Mod Emeritus

Bins for Windows 7
By: KSoD

REQUIREMENTS

Windows 7

No this will not work in Windows Vista or Windows XP. It is a Windows 7 only program.

LICENSE

Shareware

Free to try in Beta Stages
Right now $19.95 to buy on pre-order. Will be $25 once it goes final.

INTRODUCTION

So I found this program one day in an RSS feed by chance. It looked promising so on the off chance I downloaded it, installed it and tried it out.

OneUp Industries' founder Jeff Bargmann has a passion for practical innovation, and since his youth one of his outlets has been through improving the Windows Operating System. Done originally as a hobby, Jeff has produced utilities which have reached over 10 million downloads, and which have shipped pre-installed on tens of millions of computers sold by Dell and HP. Examples of his work include the icon organizer Fences, and the animated dock programs ObjectDock and the Dell Dock.

Jeff continually seeks for ways to use technology to make small improvements - "OneUps" - to our daily routines, and hopes to continue working with others who share in this vision. OneUp Industries: Innovating with technology like it's our job!

From the OneUp Industries About Page.

FEATURES

• Group your taskbar icons
    Combine related programs on your Windows 7 taskbar into “Bins”.
    Reduce clutter, and get at your programs quickly.
  • Super easy
    Create a Bin by dragging one taskbar icon on top of another, and dropping into the popup that appears. Ungroup shortcuts by dragging the icon back to the taskbar. No need to open a settings screen; Bins is simple and intuitive.
  • Instantly accessible
    Once combined into a Bin, your shortcuts will appear instantly when you mouse over the group's icon, for launching or for window-management. Move your mouse away and your Bin will tuck back into the taskbar.
  • Pin files and folders to your taskbar
    Want a favorite folder or document more easily on hand? Bins allows you to pin any file or folder to your taskbar natively.
  • Now in public beta
    Bins is now available! Click download to give it a try.
    Please note: while Bins is free during the beta period, there will be a small charge for it upon final release.

IMAGE GALLERY

This is what my SuperBar (Or TaskBar as it is known in previous versions of Windows).

example.png

Full Link if image is to small here.

That is what it looks like when you install a lot of programs and want quick access to them all. This is what it looks like now with Bins installed:

binsexample.png

Full Link if imaeg is to small here.

Drastic reduction in the amount of space taken up. This is what it looks like when you mouse over each grouping:

binsmouseover.png

binsmouseover2.png

binsmouseover3.png

binsmouseover4.png

binsmouseover5.png

Bins working with Aero Peek

To answer the questions in regards to how Bins will work with Aero Peek I took some screen shots to show you the effects it has when there is just a single Peek Window, Multiple Peek Windows and when you scroll over a specific program.

Single Program, Single Peek Window (Mouse over just the Chromium Icon):

aeropeek.png

Multiple Programs, Mouse over Bins Icon (Mouse over the Chromium Icon again):

aeropeek2.png

Multiple Programs, Mouse over specific program (Mouse over IE Icon alone):

aeropeek3.png

THOUGHTS

At first I didn't know what to expect from Bins. It was an unheard of program from an unknown source. At least to me. I have heard of Stardock, Dell Dock, Object Dock and such programs before but I never knew of their creator or the other work he has done. After just a couple of days of using this software, I will admit that I am glad I downloaded the public beta of the program and might even consider purchasing it when the time comes. I don't think I will be able to function without it anymore. It is so easy to just drag and drop the shortcuts into the grouping and have them there and ready for quick access when you want them.

No more hunting in the Start Menu, having an obscene amount of icons on your desktop or creating Folder that you Pin to explorer and have to right click to get access to. Now it is just drag, drop, group and away you go.

CONCLUSION

What more can be said about such a program? If you are like me and hate seeing icons on your desktop, dont want the additional clutter of a Dock that gets hidden when a program is open, Bins is for you. Head over to the site and download the Beta and try it for yourself!

RATING

I give Bins 5 Stars!!!

5star.gif

Sweet, I've seen this a lil while before they became downloadable, as you had to request an invite. Never got through though, but since it's downloadable now I'll check it out. It looks pretty sweet and easy to use :).

It is very simple to use. It is just like dragging and dropping shortcuts to the SuperBar. Except when you drag it over an existing icon already there you can pin it to that icon itself. I really do enjoy it. It has eliminated my need to create a folder in my Start Menu to drag and drop all my desktop shortcuts to. After I create that folder I then Pin it to Explorer in the SuperBar. Then I have to right click that icon to bring up the jump list, scroll to that folder to open it. Now everything is located on my SuperBar and ready for instant access.

By far the best program I have found to use. I used JumpList Launcher to help with this same task. But this is by far easier as I dont have to create 1 massive list with all the shortcuts I dont want down there at all times.

Very minor question, as 'Bins' makes putting stuff on your desktop kinda obsolete, what exactly do you keep on your desktop now? Completely empty I'm guessing?

Also as Windows 7 has the preview of windows, when you preview apps located in Bins, it shows up the same as without? Like more than 1 app open, you see the 'layer' of the same icon...same happens with Bins?

I never have kept anything on my desktop. I used the method explained above with creating a folder on my Start Menu to eliminate all desktop clutter.

As for the Aero Peek Questions, refresh and read the first post again. It was a very good question and very relevant to the topic and should have been included in the Review so I added it along with the Licensing information.

Thank you for bringing up such a good question. It completely slipped my mind while writing the review.

Thanks Jo. I was trying to think of something to do while a couple of my other reviews are being proof read. So I decided to write this one up on a whim and post it in here for my own personal amusement. I hope it will help others enjoy the customization ability that really is offered in Win7.

I'm sure it would be of good use to other users. I hate cluttering my desktop with all kind of crap. Also I don't know if it's just me alone but I had been wondering what icons I need and where or how to sort (like quick launch -before Windows 7-, desktop, start menu). Now since I installed Windows 7, the superbar comes in handy a lot...now that there's this particular app, it solves the whole scenario as everything is well grouped on the superbar :).

That is interesting software. If only I had known about it when I used Vista. :lol: Thank you for the praise of the review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom