What should I do? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Virgin Techie

Default What should I do?

I have 8 years in the navy when I get out next year, while I've been in I managed to get a lot of certificates and build my resume up to a substantial amount, but with all this I still don't know where I stand. What I have is:

CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Storage and Linux

Cisco CCENT and CCNA

ISC SSCP

Microsoft MicrosoftTS Windows Server Virtualization, Configuring 70-652, Microsoft TS Windows Server 2008 R2, Server Virtualization 70-659 and Microsoft TS Windows Server 2008 R2, Desktop Virtualization 70-669 ( basically making it a MCITP, but a strange one)

ITIL v3 Foundations (ITV3F)

I also have 3 Department of Labor apprenticeships Computer Programming, Internetworking Technician and Computer Operator.

Lastly I have a Diploma in Database Management (Oracle 11G) Associates in Information System and in 6 months I will have a Bachelor in Information System what an emphasis in Cyber Security all from Strayer University.

I realize that I have a lot of stuff all over the place and that I could potentially do anything from programming to networking all the way to security, but I am a horrible test taker and when I have to read a lot of information like on a CISSP I lose track, my question is what kind of job should I go from. I love networking but I know more money is in security, and I have a background in programming but I don't like programming and I hate SQL to tell you the truth. I love being an administrator weather it UNIX, Red Hat or Windows, but I have a family and I need to take care of them.

Final note what kind of job should I look for and say I live down south how much should I ask for, do you think I should try to get a manager's position?

jlonghammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knowitall!

Default Re: What should I do?

What job do you currently do in the Navy? If you enjoy that then my suggestion is to look for a similar position after you separate.

You ask if you should look for a management position. You didn't list any management background or experience in your post so why do you think you would be qualified for a management position?

strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Virgin Techie

Because of the navy and my rank I have a team of around 10 people under me. As of right now I work on PKIs for the east coast. But in the past I was a network administrator for 4 years with 6 windows servers, 2 UNIX servers 3 Red Hat, 3 Networks, 135 Workstations on one with 375 users and the other had 85 workstations with 280 users. Then I had a team of 4 under me.

I have a hard time with test that give a paragraph of information and ask for an answer. I just have bad test taking skills, never been good at it. But practical I can fly through like no problem.

I also teach A+, Net+ Sec+, Storage+, CCNA and sometimes MCITP. I enjoy this but it's not a steady income, iffy at times.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

It is good to see another sailor here. I got out in 2011 but I was an MA2. It sounds like you have the certs and the exp to do whatever you want. take a little bit of time off to reprogram to civillian life and look around some. I wish I had some qualifications in tech when I got out. Only thing I am qualified for is being a cop\firefighter\EMT and I hate all those jobs.
Senile Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Virgin Techie

Thank you, yeah I was talking to my Civilian boss today, and she was telling me that I need to get CISSP, CASP or CEH. She said that the think I would excel in those fields. So I think I'm going to try for them, I really want CPT, but you have to get CEH and another EC cert. so I'm kind of stuck in what I want. But again I know that I have to sell myself and im still wonder how much I should ask from and if I should even ask for a worker position. I know I could move up the chain, but I would really rather start low with a bunch of money.

About what you said about taking time off, I could teach and use my GI bill to get my masters, I have post 911.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Welcome to the forums.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
kmote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

If you plan on using the GI bill you will have to get that started a few months before you registar for and enroll in classes. It took me 6 months from the day I did my VONAP application to get it all worked out.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Virgin Techie

Yeah I already got that, I did it last year to get my MCITP.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Well good on ya. I got out as unprepared as one could possibly be and still feel a little behind the curve.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Virgin Techie

Yeah I heard too many horror stories about people being unprepared, and this last year is flying by super fast. But lucky I set my sights so that I could be ready to stay in or get out.