What a great forum! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > New Member Introductions
Closed Thread
Old 04-17-2011, 01:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default What a great forum!

I've been lurking for 1 day so far, and in this short period, I have absorbed a lot of information. I was naive to believe building a computer from the ground up would be a cake walk. Looks like I have a lot to learn, and I am glad a free and open forum like this exists for our edification.

A little about me: I write programs that simulate ocean vehicles and tethered buoys. My codes are usually developed in C++, but have I dabbled in Fortran. My goal is to obtain a workstation PC that can compile and execute these codes very fast. The programs I create donít simulate fast enough on my current system (it typically takes 10 minutes of execution time before I realize something is amiss). I do have the option to purchase a $2000 PC, but it seems to me higher end commercial PCís are packed with hardware I really donít have a need for. I am slowly coming to the realization I need to custom build a computer suited to my own technical needs. And this leads me to why I am here: to educate myself to the point where I can confidently assembly a PC, as well as hep those around me who have similar concerns.

This community seems very knowledgeable in hardware amalgamation. I also see several members of this community are proficient programmers. Though I do not know anything about hardware, I am excited about the possibility of contributing to any programming question that may arise.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Almighty Forensica
Default Re: What a great forum!

Welcome to Tech Forums We should be able to help you build the perfect system.

Desktop i5-4440 - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - EVGA GTX970 - 4x4GB 1600MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Be Silent Base 800 - 3TB+1TB+640GB
Laptop i7-3740QM @ 2.7GHz, 2x4GB 1600Mhz, GT640M, OCZ Agility 3 120GB
Smartphone HTC One M8 - Sense 7 - 6.0

Uni MSci Ethical Hacking, Coventry University
Work Trainee Cell Site Analyst
LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Old 04-17-2011, 07:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Welcome to Tech-Forums
Old 04-18-2011, 06:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Welcome to the forum.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 04-22-2011, 09:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

welcome to Tech-Forums, hope all your questions are answered and you help out heeps!
Closed Thread