wannabe android developer...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lcsnow

Beta member
I am considering a career change after many years in embedded C diagnostics and hardware verification. I have had some exposure to C++ and other various scripting languages. The biggest reason for the change is job demand is low with outsourcing and all.

Considering Android Development for one reason it looks like it could be interesting and its developing software for hardware which isn't that much different from what I was doing accept it wasn't apps for the platform it was diagnosing and verifying new hardware designs.

I do know it will be alot of catch up with current developers, but I wanted some opinions on after I do due diligence and learn the basics....how difficult would it be to break into an entry to junior position. I do know there are many variables...one being location dependent. I am in the Boston area so it seems there are many Sr Developer positions available.

Welcome all feedback, opinions and advice.

You don't have to be a professional to be a developer for Android applications. People do it in their spare time all the time, and if they make a successful app, that can sometimes be their primary income.

Not sure where you're looking for to go into a "junior position" because unless you're going to going to work for a company that develops applications, or one of the actual phone companies (HTC, Samsung, etc.), there won't be a "junior position" or "Sr position."
If you want to get more into developing, check out the Android website, and go through some of the tutorials. They have a basic, easy-to-use "building-block" type app-creator that is easy for beginners, or you can try and find a different IDE that you can do actual coding in.

I was thinking of making it a possible career move. I was recently outsourced, so I was looking to branch out and learn some new stuff and hopefully it will lead to a new position within a company i.e. full time.

Thanks, for the information and advice.

Well, like I said, check out the Android website for some resources. XDA-Developers site is good as well, because there are a lot of dev's there, and a lot of them are willing to help out somebody that's interested in starting up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom