Some history - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2017, 08:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Ghost

Default Some history

Hey Guys,

Many of you have probably seen my name around many threads over the last few years. I joined this forum not long after I started Year 8 (Americans call it Grade 8), and now I've completed high school. Approximately 70% of the IT knowledge that I gathered between Grade 8 and Grade 10 came from this forum, so for that I'm endlessly appreciative. Anyone else feel free to share their experiences on the forum

-Luke

Old 01-02-2017, 11:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Re: Some history

I think it's crazy how I joined in 2012, and its already 2017. Makes me think of how far I've come in that amount of time, all of which I've been looking at these forums(mostly viewing).

2012 me would not have predicted myself going to school for Mechanical Engineering, or any college for that matter, and now I'm 1 1/2 years into my degree. I feel like being involved in this tech community somewhat supported me in my goals, computers kind of became my thing for awhile. With the knowledge I learned here I was able to help many friends create builds, and in return then thought of me as soooo smart ; And when people tell you you're smart, it can become a self fulfilling prophecy.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Private Joker

Buncha damn kids!

Come February it'll be 10 years for me here.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I joined in January of 2005. I had a question about ATX vs microATX power supplies (I didn't even know there was a difference or which my computer had) as I wanted to upgrade the sad little computer I had at the time. Once I got my answer I kept on asking questions and absorbing information. I did get to upgrade that computer some but it didn't take long and I was building my own.

Owing to me having a bit of an obsessive personality I quickly became a regular here. I chipped in where I could and did my part in helping curtail the spam we had back in those wild and woolly days. Those who around then know just how nuts it was but you have no idea of how much worse it was behind the scenes. Anyway, I became a moderator and then moved up to a supermod. Dave, the admin, knew he was going to be stepping down so he asked me to become the assistant admin which soon became co-admin and then admin when Dave stepped down due to medical issues and other interests. There have been good times and bad times along the way but I like to think that I have done my part to try to keep the doors open around here.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / EVGA GTX 760 2GB
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Func MS3 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knowitall!

I joined here in 2011. I didn't come here looking for answers, I came for the pure entertainment value of reading a forum. If I have a question I need answered, I use Google or the library or friends as my main resources. Public computer forums, frankly, are my last source to go to in order to seek an answer to a computer question. Why is that? I've been on various public computer forums for about 10 years now. In that time I've posted 3-4 times with questions after I searched everywhere else but have NEVER received an answer. I got replies but no answers. For me, it boils down to, if I can't find an answer, nobody else can either.

I certainly am not trying to imply that I KNOW all the answers but powerful search engines like Google can usually get me an answer much quicker than posting on a forum.

Back in the 80s, I worked at IBM. We had a very large internal forum system. If I had a computer or programming question back then, I could get an answer but not so much on these public forums.
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strollin View Post
I joined here in 2011. If I have a question I need answered, I use Google or the library or friends as my main resources. Public computer forums, frankly, are my last source to go to in order to seek an answer to a computer question. Why is that? I've been on various public computer forums for about 10 years now. In that time I've posted 3-4 times with questions after I searched everywhere else but have NEVER received an answer.
That's funny, this forum has been a tremendous help to me whenever I have some convoluted problem that I can't find the answer for on google. I originally joined because I needed help deciding which of these two budget laptops would be better for gaming. Long story short, I was brutally seduced into building my own computer, and now I've gone through a few builds and have learned a lot. Building a gaming desktop over buying a $550 laptop(for games) was such a good choice. Thank you guys!
Old 01-05-2017, 05:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knowitall!

It would never enter my mind to go on a forum to ask about build advice. I've been building my own systems since 1985, I'm sure that was before some on here were even born. I didn't consult a forum to build my first and I won't consult a forum to build my next either.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Private Joker

You seem very proud at actively not seeking help in any way...lol. I guess I'm not afraid of seeking out guidance from somebody that may already know something I'm unsure about - if I couldn't figure out from my own research that is.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knowitall!

I'm the opposite of many forum members I observe asking questions on forums that they could get answered in more detail and a lot faster if they simply did their own research. I do my own research and when I exhaust that and seek help from a forum, no one else seems to be able to come up with an answer either.

As I said in an earlier post, I don't want to imply that I think I know all the answers, I don't, but I will do my own research before I try asking on a forum.

I've been working with computers and technology since 1972 and still learn something new everyday.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via Skype™ to danhodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve10765 View Post
I think it's crazy how I joined in 2012, and its already 2017. Makes me think of how far I've come in that amount of time, all of which I've been looking at these forums(mostly viewing).

2012 me would not have predicted myself going to school for Mechanical Engineering, or any college for that matter, and now I'm 1 1/2 years into my degree. I feel like being involved in this tech community somewhat supported me in my goals, computers kind of became my thing for awhile. With the knowledge I learned here I was able to help many friends create builds, and in return then thought of me as soooo smart ; And when people tell you you're smart, it can become a self fulfilling prophecy.

It appears I've found my twin. Also joined in 2012, also in my second year of Uni (Computer Science student myself)
Pretty sure my first questions were all bugging PP about building my first PC because I had no idea what I was doing
Now i've moved on in life. I constantly bug Carnage about programming instead

danhodge is offline   Reply With Quote