SharePoint or Document Management System

GatMar

Beta member
Hey guys, thought of joining the forum as I am in need of some enlightenment.

Need to organise the office electronic filing. At the mo we only use folders within windows. Also, we would like to facilitate the sharing of docs between different employees (ex I have a doc which needs to be signed by a colleague and which also needs to be signed be me, so I print doc, sign, scan, email to colleague, he prints. signs, scans and back to me . . .. you got it).

What should I opt for Sharepoint or an ERMS? And in any case, would I need a connector between my MFP and System?

What can you tell me about Sharepoint? What are it's functionalities (or maybe direct me to where I can find more info).

Welcome to the forum!

This is the introduction area, so you may not get responses to your questions here. I would repost in the proper section if I were you in order to maximize visibility. :)

We use Sharepoint in my company. Unless it's very carefully organized it can become a complete mess in terms of finding files. Editing is also an issue sometimes, as Sharepoint seems to routinely only support Internet Explorer.

Having said that, our company have made a terrible job of migrating all of these files from an older file management system, so it's possible that they have just done a horrible job of it!

Worth a look maybe if your needs aren't too complex, but don't expect it to blow you away.

We use Sharepoint in my company. Unless it's very carefully organized it can become a complete mess in terms of finding files. Editing is also an issue sometimes, as Sharepoint seems to routinely only support Internet Explorer.
Network drives can also just as easily become a mess of documents - and with that you don't have check-out/check-in support - docs just get locked for editing if somebody has it open (and when they forget to close it).

Having said that, our company have made a terrible job of migrating all of these files from an older file management system, so it's possible that they have just done a horrible job of it!
Our SharePoint is also a mess at where I work, but it's because it wasn't setup properly. My previous job, we used SharePoint as our entire internal corporate site for document storage, employee lookups, company news, etc. If you set it up properly, it's very powerful. It can just be easy to not set it up properly.

Worth a look maybe if your needs aren't too complex, but don't expect it to blow you away.

SP can be as complex as you need it to be really - it's fairly powerful if you know how to use it.

Documents are one of the most important aspects of any business. The seamless acquisition, storage, and distribution of documents within and outside the company can play a crucial role in determining your company's success.

A good document management software should have the following features:
  • An interface that is easy to navigate
  • Options for flawless sharing of documents
  • Collaboration tools that align the goals of a group of individuals
  • Version control to keep track of every modification made in a specific document
  • Strict security protocols to prevent the leak of information
SharePoint is one of the best document management systems and was intentionally built by Microsoft to replace the manual document filing systems. It offered a new centralised document management system, for storing, controlling, and protecting all your documents with minimal hassle. Apart from the functionalities mentioned above, SharePoint also provides additional benefits like version control, access control, bulk upload, powerful search, document indexing and classification, document editor, and workflow management to name a few.

SharePoint has all it takes to be your go-to solution for document management. If you need more information, do check out www.neo logix .ae and learn how it can supercharge your business.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom