Shameful & Illegal Confidence Tricks - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Virgin Techie

Angry Shameful & Illegal Confidence Tricks

This is my first thread on this Tech Forum so please excuse me if I have posted in the wrong section. I write in respect of many companies who trade there illegal wares on You Tube. These are all in relation to downloads of a particular Rar/Zip File that you wish to obtain.
I have tried for hours to get my 10 year old grandson extra diamonds in a game called Boom Beach all to no avail. Every download is accompanied by a survey to complete which I now know are spurious.
I recently downloaded a "survey remover" to get rid of all this nonsense and was appalled to learn that there were no downloads behind any of these surveys. Can this sort of behaviour be reported to the Trading Standards Office or the OFT? More importantly, why does "You Tube" allow this type of infringement?
I would appreciate any comments from forum readers in regard to this shambolic affair and if there is anything one can do about it?
The makers of "Boom Beach" are not to be applauded either. It would appear that you cannot sufficiently progress unless you have diamonds. These come at a price that a 10 year old little boy simply doesn't have. His I-Pad never leaves his side and I feel somewhat helpless when he comes to visit that I can't do anything more to help.
I trust that this thread will accomplish somewhat of a rely as I will make a complaint to the relative bodies to stop this disgraceful con trick

MagistrateJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: Shameful & Illegal Confidence Tricks

Welcome to the forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagistrateJP View Post
I recently downloaded a "survey remover" to get rid of all this nonsense and was appalled to learn that there were no downloads behind any of these surveys. Can this sort of behaviour be reported to the Trading Standards Office or the OFT? More importantly, why does "You Tube" allow this type of infringement?
So you're mad you can't cheat in a game? Sorry but I doubt they'll care (TSO or OFT), and the company that makes the game probably won't like it too much that you're modifying the game with unauthorized patches/cheats (possibly illegally if their ToS states that). Report the video to YouTube for illegal download links and they will make a decision whether to remove it or not.

Quote:
I would appreciate any comments from forum readers in regard to this shambolic affair and if there is anything one can do about it?
The makers of "Boom Beach" are not to be applauded either. It would appear that you cannot sufficiently progress unless you have diamonds. These come at a price that a 10 year old little boy simply doesn't have. His I-Pad never leaves his side and I feel somewhat helpless when he comes to visit that I can't do anything more to help.
I trust that this thread will accomplish somewhat of a rely as I will make a complaint to the relative bodies to stop this disgraceful con trick
Welcome to the world of mobile microtransactions. Things have been that way for quite a while with mobile games. A lot of companies either have shortcuts or make it nearly impossible to progress without giving into microtransactions. Usually I just avoid those games (voting with your wallet essentially).

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagistrateJP View Post
Your grandson has probably been playing that game for free I assume, micro transactions are how allot of apps make their money. They had to put time and effort into making that app, not many people would make an app totally for free with no expectation of profit off of it.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Virgin Techie

Very much appreciate your comments, Thank you
Old 07-14-2014, 11:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Virgin Techie

Very much appreciate your comments ... Thank you
Old 07-15-2014, 06:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Virgin Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpro View Post
Just to let you know, all survey videos are scams, and are paid just to earn money
I didn't know that. If that is the case... why does You Tube allow these scams on their site?
Old 07-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Build Guru

This may come off a bit rude but just bear with me here.

This all goes along with my "common sense browsing" stuff I've been saying in every virus thread basically. It should be common knowledge to know that ALL survey based downloads are bogus. They are all endless links to get money from chumps who will continue to participate in them. This is also not illegal, and it's not illegal for people to upload bogus Youtube videos claiming they have a cheat to get so and so then make you go through hoops of surveys in a link to get the file that doesn't exist. Just like that ad on the side bar won't give you a free iPad either. It's all perfectly legal and really there isn't anything that can be done about it.

As to the game itself, again also nothing you can do. Microtransactions in free games are how the game creators make money.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pushing Daisies on Saturn

If it's too good to be true.... it usually isn't.

Yevrag35 is offline   Reply With Quote