Remote Access

seniorguy

Beta member
Trying to lean how to remote access my computers, but seem to be having difficulty in the set-up. They seem to recognize one another, but won't connect, therefore, I suspect a set-up problem.
I've got an iMac with Mountain Lion and a PC with Win 7 Pro.
Anyone out there willing to coax a senior through the set-up process? For simplification, we can use email.

Thanks,
Seniorguy

What are you using right now to connect? Are you looking for something that offers screen sharing/viewing, or just command line access?

Thank you for responding - it's much appreciated.

For the PC and the iMac, I'm just using the remote access configuration setting in their respective Control Panel(s) - no dedicated or downloaded remote access software.

I have a friend (another senior - he's in MA, I'm in TX) who wants me to tweak his computer. No command line stuff - I'm not that good - thus, I need to control his computer from my computer and then, of course, return control back to him. So as a learning tool I'm trying to use my two computer before I try to explain to him what he needs to do in order for me to remotely access his computer.

There's no rush, so if you're still interested in helping me work out the operator problem bugs, you can contact me at:
franksplace7 [AT] att [DOT] net

Thanks,

Frank

Last edited by a moderator:
For the PC and the iMac, I'm just using the remote access configuration setting in their respective Control Panel(s) - no dedicated or downloaded remote access software.

Okay, that's not going to work - those utilities are OS dependent. Windows and Mac machines are not designed to be able to remote into each other by default. You're going to need third party software of some kind.

I have a friend (another senior - he's in MA, I'm in TX) who wants me to tweak his computer. No command line stuff - I'm not that good - thus, I need to control his computer from my computer and then, of course, return control back to him. So as a learning tool I'm trying to use my two computer before I try to explain to him what he needs to do in order for me to remotely access his computer.
Just to let you know, I and most people on sites like this don't handle support questions through private channels like email, for a variety of reasons. I would also suggest against posting your email address on a public forum - it's a security risk and you're opening yourself up to all sorts of scams and spammers. Just some friendly advice.

With that being said, what you want to do is quite simple and won't require prolonged correspondence. As others have mentioned, programs like Teamviewer and Logmein are free and will allow you to connect remotely to other machines. In addition, you can use sites like join.me to do the same thing. I know that Teamviewer has both PC and Mac version, so if you want to try it yourself first you can just download the appropriate version to each of your computers and use that to connect. These programs are generally pretty easy to use.

You can also use the OS's built-in utility if your friend is using the same OS. For example, if he's using a Windows machine, you can connect using remote desktop from your Windows PC.

You meant use a programing language as JAVA and a network as Hawaiian Tel or another WAN. Make the connection, then make the class files you need through JAVA class files, then connect. This would be the connection you want and a wireless connection also, and not coaxical because that is the 70s.

Uh..? This has nothing to do with programming at all.

OP was trying to just remote access another computer.

Back
Top Bottom