No I.T. Knowledge but I want to learn more. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default No I.T. Knowledge but I want to learn more.

Hello everyone, I don't have any formal I.T. knowledge or experience other than using windows since Win 95. I have very basic knowledge as in I can maintain my own PC and update and fix small things. I have a decent knowledge of hardware. By decent I mean I know the main components and how they work as well as how to swap out RAM and HDDs etc. I know of different programming languages but I can't even run the "hello world" scripts I tried to write. I don't know why, but I just recently started enjoying getting more in depth with my comp and I am here to learn and improve on something that I been using my whole life yet I still know nothing about.

Laestrygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: No I.T. Knowledge but I want to learn more.

Welcome to the forums

Battle.net: iFargle #1561 || Steam/Origin: iFargle
iFargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to GLaDOS

There's several different options depending on how much you'd like to spend or how much time you'd like to invest; I'll provide links to everything at the bottom of this post. I'd recommend taking a class on CompTIA A+ and getting your certification. From there you can go on to Network+ and a range of other topics. You can also look at some online training materials such as lynda.com, vtc.com, and coursera.com. Coursera is free but they aren't a technology-specific site, but they do have a few IT related courses. I'd also recommend any of the podcasts produced by TWIT, especially Security Now.

Those were just the things off the top of my head. If I think of more, I'll post it here. It's also a good idea to read any technology blog or news website - you can do a google search and find lots of those.

CompTIA A+ Certification
Software training online-tutorials for Adobe, Microsoft, Apple & more
vtc.com
Home | TWiT.TV
GLaDOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Forgot Coursera:

https://www.coursera.org/
Old 10-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for those links. I heard of the A+ and Net+ but I thought those were for pros. I would like to try but I expect I have a lot t learn before that.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

A+ and Net+ are really more entry level certifications. They do require some basic computer knowledge (which you seem to have). There are lots of different schools that help you prepare for the exam and give you some hands on experience too. I took a class for both my A+ and Net+ exams and passed them with flying colors, but more importantly I was able to get a better understanding of the material in the study book which should always be the goal.

Some people were look down on the certifications and say they aren't worth the money, but I found them to be very helpful in getting a solid foundation of computer knowledge.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well I am not to worried about price or job worth really. I think I will look into them since you said they are entry lvl certs just to get them for the hell of it I guess. It will give me a targeted goal to improve my knowledge base at the very least.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laestrygon View Post
Well I am not to worried about price or job worth really. I think I will look into them since you said they are entry lvl certs just to get them for the hell of it I guess. It will give me a targeted goal to improve my knowledge base at the very least.
Sounds like a solid plan. Just be aware - studying for the certification exam is a lot of reading.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I have been called a "loser" and a "nerd" for my love of reading so I don't think that will be a problem. Funny thing is I read a lot but my spelling and grammer are horrible but I am sure some good comes from it ...
Old 10-23-2012, 11:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Techie

Dont worry you're among nerds here. As a side note, don't let other people define you. And as i step down off my soapbox, let me just say that if you do like reading that much, you will be fine