Newbie Seeking Scholastic Direction - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > New Member Introductions
Old 03-05-2015, 12:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Virgin Techie
Default Newbie Seeking Scholastic Direction

Hey all,

My name is King's Pawn (David works as well). I wanted to join these forums to learn from the professionals already in the field and to gather feedback. I am currently not in the IT field, but feel it is the field where I belong.

Long story short: I've always worked on computers informally, without getting a whole lot of professional training/guidance. I am comfortable working with them and enjoy them. I'm always the one family calls first when it comes to trying to figure out a problem.

In terms of what I want to focus on, I am still trying to research and see which one seems to be the best fit for me. I FEEL like I would enjoy Network Administration more, but it's mostly because I got impatient with trying to teach myself C++ and gave up before I gave it a chance. Again, I dunno.

I am actually very concerned about schooling. I'm working a full time job right now and am going to be going to school. My wife is working full time as well. So, with scheduling being an issue, I am going to be pursuing an Online Degree. I was hoping to get feedback from people who are in the field: How are the online degrees perceived? Are there programs you recommend more than others? Are there programs you recommend staying away from?

I have several options I am considering, but before I make a final decision on schooling, I am hoping to get more information about the perception in the field of Online Degrees and which schools are more favorable/less favorable.

Welcome words and advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be a part of these forums!

King's Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote