Newbie Saying Hello, Asking for Tips

km87505

Beta member
Hi All,

I'm Kate, a 30-year-old from New Mexico with a liberal arts background. I'm going to code school in October (Deep Dive Coding Bootcamp, full stack dev) and am looking for tips and encouragement. I'm really excited about becoming a web designer, and my goal is to end up in UX.

I'm quitting my job as an executive assistant and don't have much savings. My feeling is, I'm still living paycheck-to-paycheck and I'll never dig myself out of $50k of undergrad loans if I don't change careers (I never wanted to be an EA anyway.) I'd love your feedback on what distinguishes the best recent code school grads from the simply competent, and any tips on the entry-level job search process are also welcome.

I'm just starting the book, "Learning Web Design: A Beginner's Guide to HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and Web Graphics," by Jennifer Niederst Robbins, but am eager to know of other beginner-friendly resources.

Thanks everyone!

Welcome to Techist :)

Good luck with everything. I'm not a programmer so I won't be especially helpful, but there are a few great programmers here to answer any questions you have.

I can't help you with learning web design but I can pass along a good life lesson.
Don't quit a job when you have debts to pay until you have another job you are going to walk straight in to. Debtors have this nasty habit of calling a debt when you're between jobs.

Good luck young lady!

+1 to seti! so I hope you have a job lined up even if its bar work..

Welcome to TF! :cool: I'm sure coders here can help you through your course to get you on the career path you want.

You guys obviously don't understand how the coding boot camp training works. It's usually around 90 days of training, 8 hrs/day, 6 days per week. There is no time for even a part-time job. As long as km87505 has sufficient funds in the bank to pay her monthly bills, for as many months as it will take to do the boot camp AND support her afterwards until she finds a job, she'll be OK.

I've never encountered a debtor "calling in a debt". As long as you keep up with the required minimum monthly payments, there's no problem.

I'm not saying that it's wise to quit one job before finding another but with these coding camps, it's a calculated risk. Hopefully, she'll complete the coding camp and find a job before she depletes all of her savings.

I went thru similar training in 1986 but it didn't have a cool name like coding boot camp. In my case it was simply called programmer re-training. I got accepted to this program thru my employer (IBM). Went to programming classes 8 hours day for 6 months. We weren't studying web development though (heck the internet didn't exist yet), we studied 370 Assembler (mainframe). It was very intense training, there were 27 of us that started the training but only 9 of us graduated.

Good to see another person interested in programming / development join! I'm one of the main developers that posts, so I'll probably end up chiming in if you ask for help (if I know how to do what you need, that is) :lol:.

You guys obviously don't understand how the coding boot camp training works. It's usually around 90 days of training, 8 hrs/day, 6 days per week. There is no time for even a part-time job. As long as km87505 has sufficient funds in the bank to pay her monthly bills, for as many months as it will take to do the boot camp AND support her afterwards until she finds a job, she'll be OK.

We do understand :cool:, and thats what we was getting at aswell... for OP to have the funds, ofc having savings will be better than working part time.. But she just said she is quiting her job and owes ALOT of money... so we wanted her to be aware just incase (seems like she may be rushing this decision)

GL anyways with the course and career :cool:

Thank you all for the welcoming remarks and thoughtful replies. I'm looking forward to having actual technical questions to put forth here.

Although the suggestion not to leave my current position without another one lined up is obviously prudent, (and one that I have always practiced,) I do not see how this could be achieved in my situation. I majored in English and philosophy, most of my experience is in the legal field, I'm currently employed at a liberal arts college, and have only taught myself a little JavaScript. Correct me if I'm selling myself short, but my feeling about getting an offer without training or experience is, in what world?

The rewards outweigh the risks. Thank you all for the welcoming remarks and thoughtful replies. I'm looking forward to having actual technical questions to put forth here.

Although the suggestion not to leave my current position without another one lined up is obviously prudent, (and one that I have always practiced,) I do not see how this could be achieved in my situation. I majored in English and philosophy, most of my experience is in the legal field, I'm currently employed at a liberal arts college, and have only taught myself a little JavaScript. Correct me if I'm selling myself short, but my feeling about getting an offer without training or experience is, in what world?

"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in."

Hi All,

I'm Kate, a 30-year-old from New Mexico with a liberal arts background. I'm going to code school in October (Deep Dive Coding Bootcamp, full stack dev) and am looking for tips and encouragement. I'm really excited about becoming a web designer, and my goal is to end up in UX.

I'm quitting my job as an executive assistant and don't have much savings. My feeling is, I'm still living paycheck-to-paycheck and I'll never dig myself out of $50k of undergrad loans if I don't change careers (I never wanted to be an EA anyway.) I'd love your feedback on what distinguishes the best recent code school grads from the simply competent, and any tips on the entry-level job search process are also welcome.

I'm just starting the book, "Learning Web Design: A Beginner's Guide to HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and Web Graphics," by Jennifer Niederst Robbins, but am eager to know of other beginner-friendly resources.

Thanks everyone!

Far as coding goes, I would suggest the Dummies line of books.
I have a small collection and the reading is easy and picking up the code issuper easy.
Also I know of professor messer has networking and comptia+ training, check to see if they also offer free programming training.

Back
Top Bottom