New Member (IT student) - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Smile New Member (IT student)

Hello everybody. My name is Mark and I live in Central Florida. I am currently pursuing an AS in IT from Keiser University. I was looking for some sort of community to go to for general questions and knowledge, sharing ideas and gripe-ing about IT. I'm hoping this is the best place for me to go to. If not, based on my above thoughts, where should I go?

A little about my knowledge. I started with computers back in the 80's when I got a VIC 20 (before the Commadore 64) for Christmas. It probably came from Radio Shack and not Santa though. So I started messing with it, primarily just using it for a word processor but I did write some code for a couple games that came line for line out of a project book. That's really the only programming I have ever attempted, other then HTML code for website use.

So I bought my first REAL home PC in 94 or 95 - I paid like $2500 for it... a Compaq home PC. After messing with it, getting into gaming and video editing... I soon realized that it wasn't very upgradable. So that is when I got my hardware installation knowledge. I'm sure there are alot of people with similar backgrounds here. I built my first computer in 99 - and that became a bit of a hobby.

So after years of troubleshooting family computers, at their requests, I started thinking. Why I'm I only making $12/hr at a dead end job when I can get a degree in IT and do that for a living.

So that is where I am now. I just started the course and we are studying the Essentials of Networking right now. I'm going to use this forum as a GOTO when I need some insight or advice.

If anybody reads this.... say HI and try to share some advice.

Thanks for your time,
Mark

mwwwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: New Member (IT student)

Hello, and welcome. I am new here too but I have found this to be a great place for answers and help so far. I have had a computer since about 96ish if I remember correctly. Got my win 98 system in 98 and have been an avid pc gamer ever since. I know a little about hardware and general repair/upgrades but found this forum when I (just recently) started learning to program. I have already learned so much and the people here are very helpful. I think you will like it.

Senile Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Thanks for the reply. It's nice to know that I found a forum that people actually read the introductions. Thank you for that. I'm happy to hear that this will help me out and I'm glad you have learned alot from here.

Thanks for the info.
Mark
Old 06-09-2013, 12:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Well I kind of consider myself a knowledge leach. I ask a lot of question but don't really contribute much due top lack of knowledge. Only time will tell if these guys get tired of me and put up a no leach sign.
Senile Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Welcome to TF Mark!
Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knowitall!

Welcome and good luck with your schooling.

I also got my start in computing in the 80's, bought my first, an IBM PC, in 1984 and it also cost me about $2500. For quite a few years a new computer system cost $2000+ The price stayed pretty much constant but every year you got a more powerful computer for the same amount of money. I remember it being a major breakthrough when the cost of a new computer dropped under $2000 and again when prices dropped below $1000.
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Slacking Guru

Welcome to the Party Mark! No UCF or USF?

Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

No UCF or USF as of yet. Who knows what tomorrow will bring tho.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
-Deactivated-

Send a message via MSN to Oreo

Welcome to TF Mark.

This is a great forum for PC lovers, and tech lovers in general.
People here are more than happy to help with any problem you may have, whether it be setting up a new network, problems with a game, hardware issues... or maybe not even IT related, plenty of people on here knowledgeable about other subjects such as audio and cars.

Some of us (me ) argue quite a lot, particularly in Off Topic, but only because we are very passionate about tech

Hope you stick around. More good members, the better!
Old 06-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie

Wow, I am blown away by all of the responses that I got. I'm used to forums being kind of like a deserted waste land where you usually don't have anyone around. Thanks for all the nice greetings. I am sure that this forum will be a "GOTO" for me throughout my life now. Maybe I can help others after I gain knowledge but for now... I will be bugging the SH#T out of everyone.

Tags
information tech student