New member here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkplug619

Beta member
Hello I am lafayette (sparkplug), I have been into computer building since I was 15 (3 years ago). I built my first computer with a budget of $440, around an asus m2a-vm. 4 gigs budget ram, amd athlon x2 2.8ghz (iirc), asus 9600gt (open box discount), a super multi dvd burner, memory card reader. My computer was running way higher then my expectations at the time.

I closed my computer case for a while so I can work on my 1990 toyota supra turbo. (support your local supras!!:big_smile:)

A few months ago I got bored and wanted more out of my computer. I then equipped it with an amd phenom x3 2.8 ghz (oc'ed to 3.1ghz but had heating issues so left it at 3.0ghz) 4gb (2x2gb) kingston hyperx, and a new 9800gtx from evga.

I now have a msi vr630, it is a great laptop!! 3 gb ram, amd turion x2 64 bit 2.0 ghz cpu, nvidia geforce 9100m g, memory card reader, bluetooth, webcam, etc...

but msi did a few brainless things with this notebook I am trying to work out, 1 being 2 seperate partitions, 1 for os and 1 for all other misc files I save to my computer, the only problem is the os is saved under the c: partition so all my files automatically save to that 40 gb partition, I am then left copying and pasting everything from my 40 gb c: partition over to my 250 gb d: partition.

I am trying to find a way to either get all my files to automatically save to the d: partition or switch my os to the d: partition

Looking forward to 'talking tech' lol

So your 18 now? (Wow, I can add!)

Not a bad system, a bit old, but as long as it works for you. :smile:

I'm not very fond of MSI, I had one of their motherboards, it broke, I refurbished it, that broke, can't get it refurbed again.

umm, what was that MSI problem again? If they are seperate partitions, they shouldn't be "copying" Are you saying that the C: partition is 40GB? I'm lost, sorry.

Windows has to be on the C: partition, its how it works.

Welcome all the same, Sparky! :tongue:

ok i have 2 partitions:

c:/ 40gb
d:/ 250 gb

everything saves to c:, leaving d: 250gb of wasted space.

I want to either put c: and d: together, or force everything to copy to d:

Ive built 3 computers around really cheap msi motherboards for my girlfriend and her 2 sisters and all 3 outperformed what i paid for em. They've been pretty good to me!

Move everything to C: (or put it on removable media, and then use something like PartitionMagic to merge D: into C:. ;) There are other programs available for that, but that's all that popped into my head at the moment.

Oh, and...

ugfzfahtah.gif

so everything including my os? I remember when i used a program like that it wouldnt work without reformatting.

Thanks for the warm welcome lol!

Your OS should already be on C:. ;) As long as it is just data on D: you should have no problem moving it. Programs don't work that way and must be reinstalled on C:.

What you are going to do is delete D: and extend C: to encompass the space left after D: was eliminated.

btw, i forgot to let you know the pm sent out when people first join the site has a broken link. The link to the rules directs to a "page not found" error

Problem solved, now i have one big fat 290 gig partition W00T!!!!! you guys rock

??? its been working just fine under 1 partition. I can keep everything more organized this way also. Could you explain more what could go wrong by doing this?

BTW, I even used the partition manager that came with vista, all i did was delete d: and resize c:, I already installed some software with no issues, ran 3dmark03 updated all my drivers with driverscanner, added itunes, firefox and added all my music from my old computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom