New Here - Former Help Desk..Now Project Manager HELLLP - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default New Here - Former Help Desk..Now Project Manager HELLLP

Hi Guys -

I was a former Help Desk employee in a pretty laid back environment. High call volume but really able to do some real tech support...not a "call center". I did this for 3 years.

I decided it was time for a change and I am now a "Junior" or "entry" Project Manager. I am struggling with the adjustment! Any tips would be greatly appreciated! I am still in a "Tech Support" mind set I think.

-Troy

tkerns05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: New Here - Former Help Desk..Now Project Manager HELLLP

IT Project Management can be a strange beast. That being said; keep lots of notes while you're working with other PMs. I landed an IT PM job that was way more than I interviewed for but I got the hang of it fairly quickly. I started out with lots of notes and a white board. Now I'm using MS Project to track everything.

Remember that you're no longer helping the user directly, you're helping the company achieve its goals and through them the user eventually. Attention to detail and time management will see you through initially. The best advice I can give without knowing what kind of projects you're working is be a sponge; try to absorb everything from your new co-workers.

I handle all IT projects for my company on the Gulf Coast from conception to installation and turn over. There are PMs under me and over me. It's my job to make sure the IT portions of construction stay on time and to handle all of the back end paperwork to satisfy the security and CCB gods.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thank you for the advice. I guess a little more of a background for what I am doing would be helpful.

I now work for what we can call a "Data Collection and Analysis IT Firm". Essentially we gather data from clients, organize it, manage it, design in house reports, and have it available to share when needed.

I have been here a few weeks now and more than anything I am assisting others with things they seem to have not had time for in the past (everyone is verrry busy). I have designed a few templates and report designs but nothing technical.

Right now the company seems to be growing and a lot of the knowledge is not on paper...it is just known by "X" employee. We are working for ways to make us more scalable and I feel I could help here. Our documents right now are spread out over a large shared drive

Does anyone have suggestions? I want to be aggressive.
tkerns05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
It's all just 1s and 0s

Send a message via MSN to office politics

this resource maybe helpful. it provides Q&A from real IT pms

#PMChat | Project Management Chat
office politics is offline   Reply With Quote