New Here....Already questions - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > New Member Introductions
Old 09-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Virgin Techie
Default New Here....Already questions

Hello everyone, new to the forum. Love anything and everything IT lol.
Background: I am in the USAF Reserve and work as a civilian for them. I am an information assurance manager (INFOSEC) with an emphasis on cyber surety.
…I have a quick question and am looking for some technical guidance. First off I have a B.S. degree in Aeronautics and associates in avionic technologies (not associated with IT, but high emphasis on security fundamentals). I have been involved in security for approximately 7 years, ranging from security manager to COMSEC manager.
In an nutshell: I have 7 years security experience, only 2 years of experience as an info assurance manager, a sec+ cert, BS aeronautics and AS avionics and a very very good security clearance…so my question is this…
I plan on getting out of the military next year but need to be competitive for the civilian market. I love what I do, so I want to pursue a career in cyber security/ network security or information management. With my background (which I know is weak for IT), should I pursue a masters in CS or IT or go for CISSP and professional certs……Mind you I have to make this transition in one or two years.
Thank you all very much for your time and I hope I can get some quality responses to help me with my career.

5502george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n
Default Re: New Here....Already questions

Hi George, this area is just for new members to introduce themselves. To get the best answers to your questions, you should ask in the relevant areas of the forum (in this case careers).

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
kmote is offline   Reply With Quote