New guy here, got a small intro and a quick question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoolishTech

Beta member
Hi,

Nick aka FoolishTech here. I'm just your average joe, living on east coast NC, U.S., with over a dozen years of being a PC technician under my belt (although I assure you I'm not good, just experienced.) I am married with a son who is almost 3, work two jobs, and still find I have too much free time on my hands (though usually this is while I'm at work, hehe.)

So lately I've decided I need to find a message board. It's been a long time since I actively participated in forums, but I miss it a little; that, and a friend finally talked me into going public (and free) with a tech tool I wrote myself, which has received a lot of praise in my circles. I wanted to share it with those who might find it helpful as I and my friends and co-workers do.

So I found two other forums which I wanted to test the waters on. One forum was very welcoming to new users, and so far they have all given me positive feedback on my tool and some great improvement suggestions. The other forum banned me for "spam" after I received an email stating I would be welcomed by it's members. LOL No I didn't make but one post, in a forum where I was ON TOPIC, I introduced myself first, I didn't cross-post or hijack anyone's thread, didn't even bump my thread, none of that... but I did have a *link* to my website. heh. not really sure what their problem was, actually...

Ok I admit, I didn't read the forum rules - I didn't read this forum's rules either (who does that, honestly?) I just figure there is a common courtesy and I can follow it and be alright.... and besides, *others* have posted about tools; perhaps my faux pas was posting about my own...

So I just figured on this forum, I would take the time to go ahead and ask first, without mentioning the tool's name or providing a link to my website - I would like to know the answer first without having to login tomorrow to find out I'm banned....

So if I post regarding my tool, will I be welcomed or banned? If not, which is the appropriate forum to make such a post?

Thanks!

Welcome to Tech-Forums, Nick.

Actually I am the one who can answer your question(s). You are very welcome here as our community is open to all and can always use others who are able to answer the questions posed by those who are in need of help.

As for your tool, just posting it up (or links or whatever) would get you banned as soon as it was seen by any member of the moderation staff. TF does not allow any free advertising . However, once a member reaches 40 posts they are able to have a signature which allows personal links.

Now that all of that is out of the way, tell us a little about the tool you have developed. While I cannot say that we will bend any rules, I would like to know more about it. We might even be bale to find a way to help you out without spamming the forums.

Thanks for the welcome!

As for my tool, I surely don't want to SPAM it; so I'll just say that as a PC tech, I developed a multitool to assist me and my co-workers at everything from quality control to malware removal to data backup. It's not perfect, but we like it... I figured others might as well, plus I thought that I could improve it if I received some feedback on it, feature suggestions, etc. from a larger technically experienced crowd.

So to keep it within the guidelines, I'll PM you a link to my website. There's a half-way decent description there, and links to some videos I've posted on YouTube concerning some features and usage.

Again, thanks for the welcome, and the heads up on not posting the link! If I stick around this forum I'll be sure and patiently await my 40 posts before I consider putting the website in my sig.

Honestly, it is hard to NOT stick around here as TF is infectious (in a good way). That is unless you give out bad advice in which case staying gets pretty uncomfortable. We've had some who were giving bad advice who were willing to learn better and they are still here but the others... At least no bodies have been discovered yet.

I received your email. You might want to consider submitting your tool to majorgeeks.com as long as you make sure they know it is beta and use at your own risk. I have conversed with one of th eowners there and found him to be pretty cool, plus they test everything before they put it up on their site which is a good endorsement.

Wow, I'm almost shocked. I got banned on that other website again, this time for re-registering and apologizing for the initial "spam" heh. I guess someone was feeling a bit vindictive. Thanks for the better reception here, btw! Yeah I might just stick around here for a while, instead.

Wow, I'm almost shocked. I got banned on that other website again, this time for re-registering and apologizing for the initial "spam" heh. I guess someone was feeling a bit vindictive. Thanks for the better reception here, btw! Yeah I might just stick around here for a while, instead.

Yeah, few sites allow multiple accounts... especially if you were banned. We hold to that same policy BTW. Be sure to check the forum rules announcement at the top of every forum as it contains a lot of useful information.

You might want to consider submitting your tool to majorgeeks.com as long as you make sure they know it is beta and use at your own risk. I have conversed with one of th eowners there and found him to be pretty cool, plus they test everything before they put it up on their site which is a good endorsement.

Yes, Tim @ Majorgeeks.com placed my tool on their front page this morning!!!

Thanks again for the great suggestion. Tim is a cool cat, and VERY quick at responding to email.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom