New Computer Engineer - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Virgin Techie

Default New Computer Engineer

i was wondering if anyone here is able to give me any advice about how i go around pricing jobs i have just done 4 years at uni in IT and i am Going to start up my own business i have been fixing laptops and pc's in the past but just for family and friends so i haven't been charging much at all just mate rates. im looking for pricing for labor cost only like replacing screens installing a new os viral removal and things like that i would be very grateful.

dramtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: New Computer Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramtie View Post
i was wondering if anyone here is able to give me any advice about how i go around pricing jobs i have just done 4 years at uni in IT and i am Going to start up my own business i have been fixing laptops and pc's in the past but just for family and friends so i haven't been charging much at all just mate rates. im looking for pricing for labor cost only like replacing screens installing a new os viral removal and things like that i would be very grateful.
If you're in the U.S...

How much does the geeksquad in your area charge for what you'd be doing? If they charge 50/hour, then charge $25 an hour.

Most businesses like this have an hourly rate + the cost of the parts needed. You can also do flat rates, but you should still base those rates on hourly wages and parts needed for a job.

Before you do this, make sure you have your A+ and are comfortable enough with doing this kind of thing. This is not a lucrative business. You will probably have 100 competitors within 50 miles of you.

Good luck!

Alexffiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Private Joker

Also better have legal situations on your side. Write up disclaimers or something that the customer must agree to in case you damage their equipment while working on it, gets stolen, etc.

As for pricing, it all depends on your area. Look around and get a feel for what other people in your area charge.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Also better have legal situations on your side. Right up disclaimers or something that the customer must agree to in case you damage their equipment while working on it, gets stolen, etc.

As for pricing, it all depends on your area. Look around and get a feel for what other people in your area charge.
This OP.

People will blame IT technicians like they blame their car repairman for "overcharging" for the fix or "breaking" your computer.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Private Joker

Yup. People will try and sue you for anything nowadays too. So having a good legal document that they signed/dated on your side will be a huge thing.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

This might help you:

How to Write a Legal Disclaimer for Your Business - wikiHow

As CarnageX said, make sure they sign whatever you make them sign with the date. That's very important. A wrong date can invalidate your document and lose you a legal battle.

Some things to include in a disclaimer:
1) User is responsible for providing backup storage for their computer if their computer requires a format.
2) User understands that NO data on the disk can be recovered once it has been formatted.

etc.

Most of these issues have to do with people losing their data, so make sure your covered well for those scenarios.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Virgin Techie

yeah thats sound about right about blame i will look into the disclaimer page i have been looking around but in my area people are pretty damn secretive about there rates so the only other way i could ask for some quotes regarding problems.. thank for all your info

dramtie is offline   Reply With Quote

« New Member | Hello »