New, and ancient.

AncientOne

Solid State Member
Hi, hope to learn a few things here. Being older than dirt, and not too technically minded, I figured I'd better seek professional assistance!! This ancient computer (Dell 755 Optiplex, 3.0 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, 150 GB HDD) is using Windows 10 Home, but it is Version 1511, no longer supported by Microsoft, and all the hardware is unsupported as well. The Update Assistant keeps trying to install the latest version of Windows 10 Home, but it ALWAYS fails at around 65-80%, with the same error code (audio drivers need updating). However, the audio drivers are up to date according to the Microsoft Techs. The Techs have tried every way they can think of to get it installed, and no go. Finally decided to kill the Update Assistant to prevent it from constantly reinstalling itself and attempting to install the latest version of Windows. Turns out the Techs can't even kill the Update Assistant...it just keeps coming back, usually at the most inopportune times!! Out of sheer frustration, I have decided to switch to one of the Linux distros...probably Ubuntu or Mint, since I'm dumber than a box of hammers,
and don't want to try something really complicated. I have a couple flash drives and some DVD's ordered from Wally World and whenever they arrive, I'll attempt the changeover...and I may need a lot of help!! I also have an old HP-2000 laptop with a 1.5 GHz CPU and 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD, that the Techs have tried to get to install the latest version of Windows on...same story, no go, and I'll likely switch it over to Linux as well, once I get it done on the Dell, so I know what the hell I'm doing. Also will be seeking advice from time to time, if y'all don't mind, on software, as I haven't got a clue what the best freeware is for much of anything. (I'm not only old, I'm cheap!) :umm:

Last edited:
You can use the flash drive to make a new Windows 10 boot drive by using the Media Creation Tool directly off Microsoft's site. A fresh install will probably go through easier. On the flip side it's probably time to an upgrade.

You can use the flash drive to make a new Windows 10 boot drive by using the Media Creation Tool directly off Microsoft's site. A fresh install will probably go through easier. On the flip side it's probably time to an upgrade.

Does this involve uninstalling Windows 10 completely and then booting from the flash drive, or does the installer do that automatically?

There is no need to uninstall first, the installer will handle that.

Technically speaking, there is no way to uninstall an OS. The simplest way to remove an installed OS is to simply delete the disk partition where the OS is installed.

Back
Top Bottom