N00b - lenghty post

Status
Not open for further replies.

DementedElf

Baseband Member
Hey all.

I'm a noob here. When it comes to computers, I'm an intermediate. I've taken some Microsoft 2000 Certification classes (but never got off my ass to get certified). I'm decent with computers. I've put 3 computers together... and struggled through all of them. It's getting easier, however.

I enjoy computers when they work. I know there's a LOT of stuff out there that can help, and I am looking to find it. Right now, my best "discoveries" include "Zone Alarm," "Ad-Aware," "Space Monger," and a few other small things. Sadly enough, that's about it. I'm looking to enhance my knowledge and usage of computers. I have limited use with a Mac, I have always used a PC since the days of old, growing up with DOS. I hear Linux/Unix can be handy, but I know nothing of them.

I'm sick of calling for tech-support for my business, having them stick in a CD, up pops a fix, a boot CD, or something clever that I wish I had discovered to make my life easier.

I enjoy PC Games and console games. I like HALO for XBox, but I only play with my buddies and in tournaments in the area. I'm decent, but that's about it. Though, I once OWNED in UT:GOTY. I miss CS and forget how to install it and stuff, so I guess I lose out there.

I just formatted my HD (damn Sasser virus got me on the day it came out, or so it seemed). I'm running XP Pro on a low-end system (for now). 128MB SD-RAM, 20GB WD Hard Drive, 80 GB Maxtor External Firewire HD, 900 MHz Processor (AMD), a floppy drive, and a CD-R that writes slower than my grandma. I meant low-end when I said it.

I connect via T1 through work and such, but at home I'll be looking to get Cable or the like. I was thinking Insight.

So, my challenge to this forum is that you provide me with enough knowledge and the like to expand my knowledge of computers and where to go to find what I need. Good luck, I'm a tough project.

Any comments, constructive preferred, are accepted. I'm friendly and up for a chat. Chances are, I'll make you feel much smarter about computers. I look forward to meeting some of you all.

Thanks in advance,
DE:beard: :cool:

[PS - Found the site via Google. First site that came up for "tech forums"]

Great intro! Welcome to Tech-Forums! If you would like to start out in your quest of getting challanged, I host technical questions on 3 of the forums. The questions each last about 2 days and then I'll post the answer, some compete, but it's completely anonymous and most people (I think) learn a bit from them. In fact, I just learned a lot the subject in the newest Hardware question that I posted, Laser Classes. Learning is an evergrowing, everchanging process.

Once again, welcome!

-Mike

i agree with mike.... great intro!!! You seem like you will fit in here just fine!

Welcome to TF!!! :)

Thank you. If you would all be so kind, respond to the post linked in my signature - deciding my computer's fate.

I appreciate your welcome and your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom