My humble quest

CareerFreak

Beta member
Hello. My name is Stephen (CareerFreak). Even though I've been in tech for 15 years, I'm really new to Forums.

My little quest is to get stories from others on how they got into their tech career. Why? Because I want to help others find their tech niche and I like to write. Writing is my other passion.

I hope to learn plenty from this forum.

Welcome aboard.

I caught the bug in the early 80's when my folks bought us a Tandy TRS80 Color Computer II. I sat up all night that first night devouring the BASIC manual that came with it and was proficient the next morning. The years between then and now has seen that fever wax and wain but it never left. I am currently a remote technician for a company that sells and services POS systems... its not a perfect tech career but its not a bad gig.

Welcome CareerFreak.

I was always interested in computers from a young age. Not in programming or even tearing them down, but just with playing games, installing (mostly crap) software and other things. I always had just that bit more interest in it than my friends and relatives. I chose to study Computer Science at college and graduated last year. I am now working as a software engineer which I am enjoying so far. I am very happy with what direction I have taken my career.

Always good to be part of a forum with people who share similar interests.

Welcome to the forums!

Didn't really find my niche until around high school. I had always been interested in playing games / using computers as a kid but didn't really have the chance besides in school or my parent's computer that we had from my dad's business. Didn't have one at home until I was around 13-ish. Few years later I got a job in an electronics shop as a sales person and started doing some basic repair work (virus removal and such). Bought my own computer, and upgraded the graphics card and power supply in it. Few years after that, I was much more proficient in computers (especially after joining this forum and lurking / helping out). Built my own system soon after.

Was never really all that interested in programming (actually I kept telling myself that I didn't want to be a programmer, and that I'd just try to find a job in IT somewhere), but I went to school for Computer Science anyway, since it was the best option I thought as it was a requirement for a broad scope of jobs. During school I worked for the school's IT department, and then switched over to an actual company in their IT department during my final 2 years at college. Ended up being fairly decent at programming, and finally accepted a software engineer job when I graudated...and here I am now :p.

Back
Top Bottom