How to get an IT Mentor!?

negativeno25

Beta member
Hi ho!

Brand-spankin new to this forum but just to get to the point, how do I find an IT mentor? Things I need to prep for before making the ask etc.?

I'm planning on making a switch to Info tech instead of PT school and my university offers limited courses on Information Systems. With no formal route for info tech, I'm planning on splicing a course list from my ISYS and computer science courses to prep me for the basic certs. I'm doing my reading on info tech but most of the topics are still jargon to me so an IT professional input and guidance would be helpful.

University advisors are not that much help :(.

I hope you guys could help!

Welcome to TF

What do you mean by IT Mentor? As in someone you can hire to get you where you need to be faster?

Or if you mean someone to bounce tech-related questions off, then that's kind of what this forum is for :p ask away in the appropriate area!

Your best bet would probably be to land an IT internship somewhere. Hands on experience can't be beat.
Second best? Techist ;) But seriously, as others have said, I think we're a decently competent bunch in the world of technology :tongue:

Welcome to TF

What do you mean by IT Mentor? As in someone you can hire to get you where you need to be faster?
Honestly, a mentor who is passionate enough to share their experience and lessons about the field. I've been reading what Information technology is all about but I could only go so far with the readings (ie. facts). Specifically, I need someone to guide in putting together a course list from the ISYS and Computer Science dept to prep for basic certs .

In short, an IT proffesional willing to mentor for the good vibes and Starbucks drink and pastry!

Your best bet would probably be to land an IT internship somewhere. Hands on experience can't be beat.
Second best? Techist ;) But seriously, as others have said, I think we're a decently competent bunch in the world of technology :tongue:
Yep I need to work on the basics to land an internship but I suppose I could screenshot the courses and we'll see where it goes! But I guess I'm hoping to meet with a mentor around SF who can meet in person or would be ok to correspond privately (ie through email)

I'm also very new to how forums work ahaha.

Last edited by a moderator:
There isn't a mentorship program in IT as you may find in other fields.

Do you know what sort of career you would like? It would be fairly easier to guide you into classes, info and possibly groups if we know more of what your interest is in IT.

Back
Top Bottom