Hi from a very cold UK - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > New Member Introductions
Closed Thread
Old 02-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Hi from a very cold UK

I live in County Durham in the UK an area full of Roman remains, castles and old and new industry. I have been retired for about 2 years but am involved in a number of volunteer organisations including one encouraging young people to take a greater interest in science and engineering. I am also keen on supporting the local real ale industry.

In past jobs I have been mostly involved with the design, installation and maintenance of industrial electronic equipment. Some of this has been on specifying, installing and using bespoke software but I have little programming experience. Except in the mid 80s I had three staff reporting to me, each of whom provided me with a hand written weekly report. I had to take their reports, add my own comments and write out a report for my boss. This got very boring and in my spare time I wrote a text editor suite in basic. It meant my staff could write their reports and I could import them (7 inch floppies), produce a document with my comments and print off for my boss. It was very enjoyable task. Most of the software I was involved with was for production plant control and data logging but for a year I was part of a SAP implementation team.

Currently my interests lie in developing some very specific control software. I look forward to being involved with this forum and learning a lot.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Default Re: Hi from a very cold UK

Cold? Bah the UK is tropics compared to most of Canada!

But still, welcome to our world wide website.

Foldie = i7 950@ 4.0Ghz Gigabyte x58a-ud3r EVGA 970 SC Corsair H100 Corsair hx520 3x2gb OCZ Gold Corsair 650D
Woohoo = L5639 @3.1Ghz EVGA SR-2 gtx 260-216 Hyper 212+ Corsair 1050hx 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 Blackhawk Ulra
Alienware 18 - SLI 770M 4700mq 16Gig

Old 02-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n
Default Re: Hi from a very cold UK

Welcome to the forums.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Closed Thread