Hi from Texas

Just saw this post. Uh, are you my dad? Retired mechanic, plays guitar, memory loss lol. You run sound too?

I too play guitar and drums. Also run sound. If you aren't too far from the DFW area maybe we can jam as I have some buddies who like playing classic rock.

Well, I'm 63 so that's possible LOL.

I haven't played my guitar much, not really interested anymore. Bought and tried playing a keyboard, it's in the closet along with the guitars collecting dust.

By the way, I'm in San Antonio.

Well, I'm 63 so that's possible LOL.

I haven't played my guitar much, not really interested anymore. Bought and tried playing a keyboard, it's in the closet along with the guitars collecting dust.

By the way, I'm in San Antonio.
He would have been 58 this year, so close enough. Harrr very strange.

Well, that's not cool. Why'd you put the guitar down? I mean, I understand of all people as I used to play like 6 hours every day and just dropped it. Just figure everybody has a reason. I'm recently getting back into it since I got Guitar Rig.

I guess joint deterioration disease and chronic pains are good reason enough. I still like playing music but not so much.

Well, that's not cool. Why'd you put the guitar down? I mean, I understand of all people as I used to play like 6 hours every day and just dropped it. Just figure everybody has a reason. I'm recently getting back into it since I got Guitar Rig.

I am only 27 and I went from playing everyday since I was 13 to only occasionaly playing Flamenco on my classical. So I guess it happens to all of us. I was real big into playing in high school because the fantasy of actually playing on a stage and having people enjoy it still seemed feasible. I am not talking about big MTV and money dreams either. I mean like playing the Lizard lounge or somewhere in deep ellem for a few free beers on the weekend.

Iron Butterfly reminds me of some of the other psych bands like Strawberry Alarm Clock and Jefferson Airplane. I wish I was alive to see them in their prime while it was new and original.

Are you by any chance a fan of Jethro Tull? Obviously not psychedelic but classic none the less. I like their first few albums better. Stand Up, This Was, Benifet, Aqualung and Thick as a brick are all great from start to finish. I like their newer albums too but Ian Anderson's voice really started to go around 1978-ish.
Classic Rock is so much fun to play. It is the middle ground between the simplicity of blues and the complexity of alot of metal bands like Dream Theatre. I do still love blues and metal. With blues the older the better and metal of course the faster and heavier the better.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the 60s and the 70s so yea, I know about them. I consider them the best of rock because it is good taste and not screaming and overdriving the amps. I like metal too but not all of 'em.

I got my first guitar for Xmas (I asked for it) when I was 10 and got a play along with The Ventures album with it. I also used my sis's piano books to learn music. Took me a while to transpose it to guitar but it was a learning process (the hard way duh).

In high school I got together with friends and formed a surf instro band, The Brazen Men. I played lead and rhythm guitar and we played at dances and parties. It was a blast. In the 70s and 80s I didn't play guitar because of life and picked it back up in the mid 90s but didn't gig. It was more of a hobby then, a little get together here and there.

My disabilities started around then too so work was really rough. I was an auto mechanic so nothing light about it.

"The Brazen men" is actually a really cool name and for a surf type band it does seem like a spot on choice.

The only ventures song I know how to play is Diamond Head. I also love to play Apache by the shadows and Miserlou by Dick Dale. Now Surf music damn that sounds cool and it is easy to play.

BTW What scale is used in most surf music? Double Harmonic and Phrygian maybe?

I just listened to Malaguena by the Trashmen. I did not know they did a Flamenco cover. It sounds cool as a surf version.

Last edited:
Hmm... I haven't thought about that. Since I've used major and minor chords I never thought modes, more like positions (intervals) from the root.

I'm gonna guess Ionian and Lydian for happy, Aeolian and Dorian for blue.

Here's Apache with some goofiness. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTkhl_cEMZs

Back
Top Bottom