Hi, I'm new

Status
Not open for further replies.

obesechicken13

Solid State Member
Thank you for visiting, rather than get into my questions right off the bat, I'll tell you a little about myself.

I was born in China, male, in a relatively rural area. Since then I've moved around a lot, a lot, a lot, a lot (Australia, Canada)…. Now I live in Massachusetts. I'm 17 years old, a senior, attending a public high school, but the thing is my school stopped offering computer science classes four years ago. So I wanted to learn about computers and possibly to join the community here. I want to major in computer software engineering and program robots, or video games, or technology that's new, or Defeat the evil robot squirrels trying to take over the world with the rest of you, your secret society of computer experts that created robots that were too smart and are now protecting us from them.
That's my life in a nutshell

Interests
I find video games more fun than anything else but I'll be getting off them to work on software, computers, swimming, math (team), robotics, sciency clubs – all that stuff. I play an electric guitar, look for good music. I take a lot of AP classes, and an independent study in photography class, it's really cool. My favorite class is Engineering the Future because I get to test out my designs. I write in a notebook everyday (partly to improve myself), enjoy reading and creative writing. I'm a very good math and science test taker (trust me). I understand how to use word and AutoCAD programs, as well as basic HTML (the kind you'd see on myspace :(. I don't sleep much often none at all days on end excluding power naps (going to stop that too stupid computer addiction!) and I love computers… if you haven't guessed.

Some of my personality traits are laziness, adaptability, and excessive pride and ego. It's mostly just adaptability.

My goal this year is to take initiative. To start a business, do some research, or get ACME to my school.

Onwards to questions!

Would anyone be willing to take a computer novice under his wing and teach me about computers, specifically in programming probably C++, possibly java, or visual basic? How would I start learning these languages?

Also…Should I change my alias? It doesn't really seem formal.

What is it like to be a software engineer? What do you mainly do… Can you show me?

Sorry for the length

Welcome to the forums.

One of the great things about forums is that you have the collective knowledge of all the members so you shouldn't need anyone to take you under their wing, just post your question in the relevant section and if you like you are under everybodys wing!

It's good to see you have such an interest in programming. I am a programmer albeit one with not much experience so not really the software engineer you are looking for but as for where to start that is easy; just choose a problem you want to solve, get a compiler for the language best suited, try a few simple programs to get into the swing of it and then start solving your problem! If at any point you get stuck, you can ask on these forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom