Hi folks

jollyboyjohn

Beta member
I figure it's about time I join up to one of these forumy-things.
Currently I'm trying to start my own business, after going through lots of different jobs and a few college courses, and realising they weren't for me - I want to pay myself :)
I'm starting at the bottom, so what I do is I buy things faulty or used, and fix/upgrade/modify them, with the intention of selling them on. So far everything I've fixed, I kept for myself, because I want to be sure of my work before I start selling to other people.

I've come to realise I do need the help of other people and so I'm here - hopefully you can help me and I can help you, and use some cool emoticons along the way like this smiling watermelon :watermelon:

Welcome! And good luck!

I would only suggest that you make sure to disclose the fact that they are used to the customer. Also I would think about advertising that you are a recycling center or offer recycling services for free so people just give you stuff. You would be surprised how dumb people really are. There was a woman who came into the computer repair shop that I interned for. She had an i7, 16 GB of 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, some sort of Nvidia Graphics card, it looked nice to me, and I forget the board but it was an ASUS something. Anyway at the time her machine was probably worth $1200 without the OS.

She said her hard drive broke again, and since it was her second bad encounter with that machine she told us to get rid of it. We even explained to her that it's not her machine but she did not GAF. She wanted us to get rid of it lol. She wanted us to build her a less powerful i5 8GB no special graphics machine for around $950.

HA HA HA HAAA

Also use DBAN or something like DBAN to securely wipe drives before you sell them to customers because that is a privacy violation

Thanks guys!

That is the plan SubliminalX7, buy broken, fix and sell used/refurb :)
I never thought of offering recycling for electronics though - a sound plan. I've also saw how dumb people can be (I was guilty of it myself at one point).

I'd certainly wipe it clean if it were a phone/tablet/computer, I tend to clean out everything anyway regardless. I remember once when I worked for Virgin, my trainer told us about the stuff he found on discarded computers in the past :lol:

Thanks guys!

That is the plan SubliminalX7, buy broken, fix and sell used/refurb :)
I never thought of offering recycling for electronics though - a sound plan. I've also saw how dumb people can be (I was guilty of it myself at one point).

I'd certainly wipe it clean if it were a phone/tablet/computer, I tend to clean out everything anyway regardless. I remember once when I worked for Virgin, my trainer told us about the stuff he found on discarded computers in the past :lol:

Good stuff man. I wish you luck!

Back
Top Bottom