Hi Everyone

OverkillYJ

Beta member
Hi everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself before I start filling out my profile.

I have been using forums for years, but not for IT work, which is funny because I have found them very valuable on other subjects. Besides IT I am a welder/fabricator which is where forums have given me an edge over a lot of other people.

I spent 5 years at CDW, and then 3 years between two other jobs after leaving CDW due to the fact I worked in NJ and not at their flagship location in Chicago. Otherwise I never would have quit CDW.

I spent a little over a year with the city of Philadelphia in their IT department, which was just an exercise in keeping my mouth shut as I watched people blow money on technology, then use 20% of the capabilities. They did it to keep their budget inflated so they could ask for more money every year. At the same time it is on the news all the time they are closing schools so I started looiking for what I thought would make me happiest being a field technician.

I have been a field technician for over a year since leaving there. I quit as soon as I found the job with a large company. I am certified on many types of hardware, and am familiar with many different deployments and network designs/needs/requirements.

Due to a recent major back injury, then surgery in July, I am no longer able to work the 10-12 hour grueling schedule I loved. I would travel to many of the country's largest corporations and repair anything that broke, or order the parts I needed to complete the work, and schedule my own return to finish it. All I had to do was meet the warranty aggreement they had with Xerox, HP, Dell, or whatever it was I was doing at the time. I am used to having access to endless tools and documentation which are no longer available to me. I also did a lot of site upgrades on my own with orderly roll-outs to minimize downtime to clients.

That is why I started searching for a forum like this, and this is what I found. I have a lot to contribute, but will also have a lot of questions as I come across new things. No one can keep up with everything. I am actually going to ask a stupid question the first time, which should be a tossup on this site. I actually just wanted a second opinion if I should build a Raid 5 FreeNAS deployment, or if it would be a waste of time. I have a stack of hard drives that are SATA300 7.2k, but the RAID cards are all SATA 150. I got a stack of them free recently, and was considering replacing my perfectly fine NetGear ReadyNAS with a FreeNAS dual core deployment. I will create a thread for that though in the appropriate section.

I hope to have found what I am looking for.

Back
Top Bottom