hi from BC Can and a long question

Status
Not open for further replies.

scroudt

In Runtime
Just saying hi for my first post, as well as asking about my comp.

First off, I didn't see where the best place was to post this, so I decided to just post it here.
My computer has been running really slow doing certian things and I'm not sure what causing it. I'm thinking that I have some spyware or a virus that my be causing it and that my virus scan and spyware program isn't picking it up. Or my CPU is possibly just getting old and tired, or getting to hot.
My computer starts up fairly fast and shuts down quick. I can still run games pretty good,(currently playing Call Of Duty 4 online, and most of the graphics are turned on or at least mid level to higher levels)
Things that are running slow are some windows programs. But the thing thats running the worst is my internet browser. I am currently using windows Explorer version 7.0. Just today I had my task manager up, and when ever I went to a new link my CPU usage would normally spike up to 50-60% usage, and sometimes up to 80%. Now I know this can't be right. another thing that I noticed was when I move things around on the desktop(ex. winamp, it would also jump up to 80%, and just minimizing and maximizing it, it would use up 25% of my CPU.
My Virus scan I AVG version 8.0, and I'm using Lavasoft Ad-aware SE personal 7.1 for spyware program.
I am also using Amust reg cleaner 3.0.

My comp is a pentium 4 3 gig, 2 gigs ram, ATI radion 9800 pro 128. I'm not sure of exact run speed of everything right now, I can't remember where to look to find everything. I'm also running windows XP home version 2. I know something is wrong, my comp used to run so much fast and cleaner. and I've accually had to turn a few thing down so that it will run faster.
any suggestions on how to solve this would be appreciated. different virus scan/spyware?
Also, I've just within the last month took out my video card and CPU fan and cooling fins and gave them a really good cleaning, and that did seem to help.
Oh, and I was wondering if this may keep the CPU from running as cool as it could, about a 1 1/2 years ago I took my CPU cooling fins out and the CPU itself came apart from the fins, should I be putting some new putty thats between the fins and CPU on? What is that stuff called?

I'm expecting to get questions on my system, I'll try to answer everything.
thanks alot

Welcome to Tech-Forums... hopefully if its not Spy related, I can probably help.

18.gif

welcome to the forum fellow Canadian, great to have u with us.

thanks luke

I'm still having a little bit of issues. It never crashes, or freezes up. bit there are little things that don't seem right. One example, playing solitaire, when you win and the cards bounce away at a quick rate, most of the time the cards do this at a slow speed, but if I move the mouse around they speed up.

I'm not sure whats going on???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom