Hey :) How to connect a tablet to an external storage device?

Mortsy

Beta member
Afternoon all,

First post and wasn't sure what section to put this question in but here goes:

I am wondering if it is possible to connect my nexus tablet to an external storage device (Samsung M3 Slimline 2TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive)?

Currently the only way to transfer data is when they are both connected to my laptop but I wish to do some travelling and so I am going to have to leave the laptop behind.

What cables/adapters would I need to purchase to connect these two devices up?

One is a micro USB3 and the other I believe is a USB Type C.

Thank you for your help,

Samuel

IIRC, only the Nexus 6P has the Type C connector at the moment.

But yes, like Yami posted, you need a USB OTG cable. You'll also need to power the drive externally, as usually the output from the port isn't enough to power a large HDD like that. You might get lucky and it'll power it...but it'll drain your battery MUCH faster than normal.

IIRC, only the Nexus 6P has the Type C connector at the moment.

But yes, like Yami posted, you need a USB OTG cable. You'll also need to power the drive externally, as usually the output from the port isn't enough to power a large HDD like that. You might get lucky and it'll power it...but it'll drain your battery MUCH faster than normal.

My old Galaxy S3 and my HTC M8 could power the same HDD (though the 1TB version) without issue. YMMV depending on phone ofc.

My old Galaxy S3 and my HTC M8 could power the same HDD (though the 1TB version) without issue. YMMV depending on phone ofc.

Some of the S3's could be killed from OTG cables as some revisions weren't actually rated for OTG, and it was killing the phone entirely hardware-wise.

Some of the S3's could be killed from OTG cables as some revisions weren't actually rated for OTG, and it was killing the phone entirely hardware-wise.

Oh well. I gave mine away to a friend anyway :p

Back
Top Bottom