Hey all!

The Technician

Solid State Member
Hey everyone! My name is Michael, my friends call me Mike.

First of all, I'm very glad to be here. The amount of info shared here is incredible. So thank you all for contributing.

Secondly, I am here because I wish to enter the IT field as a hardware technician. I am currently self-studying for the A+ certification, and could use all the help I can get. I will post more about that in the appropriate forum, but for now, greetings and thanks for welcoming me into the community!

Mike

Glad to have you, Mike! I'm a hardware tech myself, and am still fairly new to it. Perhaps we can learn from each other. Looking forward to your input!

Hiya! Glad to have you here! Studying for A+ is a good start. I'll tell you what I just posted elsewhere... buy a sandbox computer to use to tear to pieces and put together again. I mean that for the hardware as well as the software side. Tear into the Windows registry and services etc and learn as much as you can. Infect the computer with malware on purpose and then try to clean it off. Anything you can think. It will help you get a hands on experience.

Glad to have you, Mike! I'm a hardware tech myself, and am still fairly new to it. Perhaps we can learn from each other. Looking forward to your input!

Thanks, sir! How did you go about getting into the field?

Hiya! Glad to have you here! Studying for A+ is a good start. I'll tell you what I just posted elsewhere... buy a sandbox computer to use to tear to pieces and put together again. I mean that for the hardware as well as the software side. Tear into the Windows registry and services etc and learn as much as you can. Infect the computer with malware on purpose and then try to clean it off. Anything you can think. It will help you get a hands on experience.

Yes, I plan on doing precisely that!

Thanks, sir! How did you go about getting into the field?

I more or less fell into it. I had worked for the same department about 5 years ago on a more temporary basis, but they didn't need a permanent person at the time. Flash forward, and they were hiring, so I took a chance. Having grown up during the advent of residential PCs and the steadily growing gaming industry, I was able to experience tech from a young age, providing a much needed familiarity by the time I came back to this job for a permanent position. I also knew a couple people that were still here, and that certainly helped. How about yourself?

I more or less fell into it... I also knew a couple people that were still here, and that certainly helped. How about yourself?

Well, I'm not in it yet. I got tired of the high school drop out life, and My father has been an SMS guy for years, so I've been exposed to the tech side of computers for most of my life. I have been a hobby graphic designer since high school, so I am more familiar with that side of things than hardware. But, I felt that I had a head start with the stuff nonetheless. And I felt that I could get into this profession with less financial investment in education than most other fields. So, here I am giving it my best shot.

Knowing someone on the inside is always a huge help. Unfortunately for me, not only have I not worked in the office environment for over a decade, I have just relocated to a new city, so I literally don't know anyone. My resume and charisma alone are going to have to be enough to get me working.

Back
Top Bottom