Hello World - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 10:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Virgin Techie

Default Hello World

Hello techist.com! I am a 20-year old who recently declared Information Systems as my major. Despite being involved with computers most of my life, I am still kinda "green" on the programming side and I am looking to expand my knowledge and skills.

Thanks for having me and I'll try not to cause too much trouble!

Old 02-22-2011, 10:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default Re: Hello World

if you start causing trouble we'll be sure to send you to the basement. people don't often come out of the basement

on a lighter note, welcome to TF!!! I've been involved with computers since 5th grade (sophomore in college now) and don't know a whole lot of programming, I would say it's the harder bit to pick up around computers, but lots of fun.

Enjoy everything TF has to offer and ask away if you've got questions!

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Welcome to the forums! What language you looking at?
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 02-23-2011, 02:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Virgin Techie

Thanks for the warm welcomes guys! I currently work part time at a small database development company (using Access mainly), so I'm looking into learning SQL to have more tools at my disposal for future projects.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Welcome to the forums.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 02-23-2011, 02:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Virgin Techie

I've got a quick question, and I'm only asking here because I'm not yet familiar with these forums and don't know the best place to ask it, so I'm hoping for some direction.

I saw that Dreamspark.com was offering a free Microsoft Certification Exam of your choice (limited to current students), so I figured I might as well sign up for something in my (hopefully) future field. I chose the exam titled 072-448 TS:MS SQL Server 2008, Business Intelligence Dev & Maintenance.

I'm downloading SQL Server 2008 R2: Developer right now (thanks again to Dreamspark), and my question is, is it realistic to attempt to learn enough in SQL to be able to pass this exam in 2 months? It was a limited time free voucher, so I figure the worst that could happen is I could get a free look and know what to expect next time.

I know this is probably not the correct forum, so if no one could answer this question, feel free to direct me to the appropriate board

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Two months isn't a terribly long time, but like you said you've got nothing to lose
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 02-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

well as soul said, 2 months isn't a terribly long time, but sql is pretty easy to pick up in my opinion. A lot of the commands are pretty much english. check out SQL Tutorial it's got a pretty good and basic overview that leads into some more advanced topics. I've learned a lot already just from reading through that and messing around a bit on my own.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Virgin Techie

Thanks guys!

Closed Thread