Hello there - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > New Member Introductions
Old 03-30-2014, 05:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Hello there

My name is Adam and I am an IT in the US navy. Despite the job title I do more than work on Computers, Servers, Switches and Routers. So Much more. If you have been or are in the Military you understand and if you have been an IT in the Navy then you really get it .

I have been all over the world on two deployments and served proudly on a US Warship. I have seen many things, IT related and not, and I feel that the US Navy has given me everything that I wanted from it and now is the time to move on. I plan to get out in the next few years and use the skills I have learned as a Network Administrator and get a job as an IT in the civilian world. Specifically in the fields of Networking and Security with the ultimate goal of being a penetration tester.

Right now the Navy made me get Security+ to maintain the qualifications that I had. Thanks to the operational tempo that I worked under I had very little time to get anymore. Now I am at a much slower command and have so much more time I have my eye on several certifications in the next calender year.

They include, but are not limited to:Network+, Comptia Advanced Security Practitioner (CASP), CCNA: Routing and Switching and Offensive Security Certified Professional.

Ultimately I want to get CISSP and CCNA: Security also but that task is a bit daunting and I won't attempt that until next calender year and maybe look into RHCSA and RHCE just to satisfy my own curiosity.

This is just an introduction so I am not really asking for advice but if you know, or think you know, something that I don't know. Please feel free to message me or reply. I am always up for a conversation or to listen to a bit of wisdom.

Thank you,

Adam Milton

Adam_J_Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Hello there

I have (had) the CCNA from 2010, which has since lapsed. I also have the A+, NET+, and SEC+. A+ will unfortunately really depend on the questions you get. I personally got a lot of hardware questions, a classmate got nothing but printer questions (fusers, spools, misc gear names in a printer). All in all was not a "hard" cert for someone who uses computers a lot. NET+ was a little more difficult from a non networking student perspective, however if you know the basics of a network, all the short-names, and the "proper" way to set a network up at the time you will pass.

Just thought I would throw some information at you.

NickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks Nick for the heads up. I am working on Network+ tonight and plan to really hit it hard for the next few weeks. After that I am going to get my CCNA. That certification I plan to really work on and understand not just have the piece of paper that says I pasted.
Adam_J_Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

I hear the CISSP is rough. :/
Reapt is offline   Reply With Quote

advice, introduction