Hello from Japan!

airforcematt

Solid State Member
Hello guys! My name is Matt and I'm in the Air Force as my username suggests. I'm currently stationed in Japan and live in the Tokyo prefecture, about 30-60 minutes away from what folks would consider downtown Tokyo. I've been a bit of a tech nerd ever since the day my family got an Apple II-E back in the day.

A lot has happened between the Apple II-E and today. I've been primarily a PC fan but I've recently I've started to make the change from PC to Mac with a 13in Retina MBP and I'm loving it.

Look forward to talking tech with ya'll!

Hi, welcome to the forums. This is a great place and the guys here are friendly and helpful. I was in Japan for two years and loved it. I was in Okinawa with the Navy however. Still got a coco ichibana and Bento addiction that I can't feed! I actually miss everything about Japan. Comming back to the states and readjusting to the poor service and rude store employes sucked. I also miss the greetings from the cute girls when I walk into a Family Mart or Lawson.

Hi, welcome to the forums. This is a great place and the guys here are friendly and helpful. I was in Japan for two years and loved it. I was in Okinawa with the Navy however. Still got a coco ichibana and Bento addiction that I can't feed! I actually miss everything about Japan. Comming back to the states and readjusting to the poor service and rude store employes sucked. I also miss the greetings from the cute girls when I walk into a Family Mart or Lawson.

CoCo's cravings come and go for me but it's a definite addiction that I'm going to miss when I leave. Apparently there is one in LA but I haven't been so I can't comment on it. If/When my wife and I leave here one of the biggest adjustments will getting used to sub-par customer service that's standard stateside. I *LOVE* that aspect of Japan. Wife and I want to stay but we don't know how long the AF will let us, we'll see!

Yeah the best thing for me about Japan was the peopl. I know there are good and bad people everywhere but I have never met a Japanese person I did not like. Even the strangers would stop and go out of there way to help me find something despite my horrible Japanese pronunciation. The clubs there are also so friendly and the club chicks really are there to have fun.They are not like the American girls who you gotta jump through hoops with and get mad if you don't text them just right. Still I never understood the fasination with Japanese cartoons over here in the states. Oh and did you ever try Mos Burger?

That's what has us wanting to stay and currently learning the language - the people here are amazingly friendly. For example we got robbed by a broken ticket machine at a public park just a couple months after we got here - machine ate a 5,000 yen bill. A Japanese couple saw it happen and even though they didn't speak a word of english they got the attention of someone and got us our money back. The amount of respect for both themselves and others is something that we could all learn a lot from IMHO.

Yep - Wife and I have been to Mos Burger a couple times but whenever I'm in a burger mood I somehow always end up at McDonalds - I swear the big mac tastes better here, think they use higher quality meat.

Back
Top Bottom