Hello!!! I hope someone can help a newbie tech - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2015, 10:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Hello!!! I hope someone can help a newbie tech

Tec08, any shortcuts through cmd prompts that can come in handy when repairing P.C's?

Mr.Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pink View Post
Tec08, any shortcuts through cmd prompts that can come in handy when repairing P.C's?
Hi MrPink, I can help give you tips and advice when you need it. with regards to CMD.. 2 system diagnosis cmds to remember and google is "CHKDSK" and "SFC"

if you have internet connection issues "ipconfig" and "ping"

If laptop has battery issues "powercfg"

if the machine is slow and you need to reboot or shutdown "shutdown /L /R /S"

I can go into depth in the full commands but it would be good to left the switches needed with these.

Anything else specific let me know

Old 05-21-2015, 06:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Forgot to mention the most useful CMD.. bootrec /fixmbr / fixboot /scanos and /rebuildbcd

Google Bootrec to understand it better but what it does is it windows OS cannot boot from start up this repairs it or adds it again if its corrupted/ missing.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks i2D! thats awesome advice. any chance know where to start looking if one was to get into the coding world?
Old 05-21-2015, 10:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
Newb Techie

i seem to be all over to place...haha i just been on computers since i was 8 years old and haven't progressed the way i would like to. which i guess independent research is the best place to start but the internet is just such a vast world. I dont even know where to start to look
Old 05-21-2015, 10:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Thanks i2D! thats awesome advice. any chance know where to start looking if one was to get into the coding world?
Mostly depends on what language you want to learn. This can be a good start though, as they offer free courses/tutorials for many languages:
Learn to code | Codecademy

I'm primarily a C# developer myself, but also know ASP.NET, C/C++, HTML/CSS/JS, PHP, MySQL/T-SQL, and probably a few others that I've seen/used briefly but don't really remember.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:30 AM   #17 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Carnage, Do you think C# would be a good place to start? was that something you felt a easy grasp on from the very start?
Old 05-21-2015, 10:42 AM   #18 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Carnage, Do you think C# would be a good place to start? was that something you felt a easy grasp on from the very start?
I started out with C/C++ in college (that was the language they were teaching in). Then I picked up C# about halfway through college and didn't look back - I use it both at home for personal projects as well as at work (I'm a software engineer). I was able to pick it up fairly quickly (with help from a friend who learned C# on his own) since it's syntax is close to C++, and I had already been using C++ for 2 years prior.

That being said...(this is just my opinion) you should definitely learn a lower-level language such as C++ before jumping to a full OOP like C# or Java. You'll learn how things work under the hood, and in turn understand why some coding practices should be used while others should be avoided (e.g. using certain data structures in your program vs others).

Can you jump into something like C# or Java without knowing another language beforehand? Sure you can. That's up to you - but just be aware of how you're coding / using resources so that you're not wasting performance, or structuring a program in a way that makes it hard to re-use code from.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:43 AM   #19 (permalink)
Newb Techie

wow Carnage!! this sight is "off the chain"
Thank you man
Old 05-21-2015, 10:50 AM   #20 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
I started out with C/C++ in college (that was the language they were teaching in). Then I picked up C# about halfway through college and didn't look back - I use it both at home for personal projects as well as at work (I'm a software engineer). I was able to pick it up fairly quickly (with help from a friend who learned C# on his own) since it's syntax is close to C++, and I had already been using C++ for 2 years prior.

That being said...(this is just my opinion) you should definitely learn a lower-level language such as C++ before jumping to a full OOP like C# or Java. You'll learn how things work under the hood, and in turn understand why some coding practices should be used while others should be avoided (e.g. using certain data structures in your program vs others).

Can you jump into something like C# or Java without knowing another language beforehand? Sure you can. That's up to you - but just be aware of how you're coding / using resources so that you're not wasting performance, or structuring a program in a way that makes it hard to re-use code from.
Defiantly will start on a lower language. i appreciate all your input