Hello Everyone

paigeh_17

Beta member
Hello Everyone. I am somewhat new to the technology field. I recently obtained a job as a certified a+ technician. I enjoy working with computers and I am looking forward to moving my way up the chain slowly. Although I'm new to this field I am not too new to the world. I'm 32 years old and only 4 years ago did I decide to pursue my interest for computers. I do have a question that I was wondering if anyone could help me with? Even though I have my book smarts now, I am still learning a lot while actually learning in real world situations. One of my issues is that when a computer is deeply infected with viruses we have to try an backup what data we can from a person's computer and then do a clean install of their current OS. I have noticed that one of the techs I work with sets that person's desktop back to the way they had it before they did the OS install. Is that tech taking an image of the computer and then restoring that image or is that tech doing something else. I'm afraid to ask because I don't want to look like the stupid girl who should already know this. I would be much obliged for any suggestions and help.

Hello Everyone. I am somewhat new to the technology field. I recently obtained a job as a certified a+ technician. I enjoy working with computers and I am looking forward to moving my way up the chain slowly. Although I'm new to this field I am not too new to the world. I'm 32 years old and only 4 years ago did I decide to pursue my interest for computers. I do have a question that I was wondering if anyone could help me with? Even though I have my book smarts now, I am still learning a lot while actually learning in real world situations. One of my issues is that when a computer is deeply infected with viruses we have to try an backup what data we can from a person's computer and then do a clean install of their current OS. I have noticed that one of the techs I work with sets that person's desktop back to the way they had it before they did the OS install. Is that tech taking an image of the computer and then restoring that image or is that tech doing something else. I'm afraid to ask because I don't want to look like the stupid girl who should already know this. I would be much obliged for any suggestions and help.

To understand better are you saying that after a clean install of the OS, it seems that the person's desktop including all of the icons is the exact same?

Also is this person connected to a domain, or is it a local machine profile?

Edit:

You aren't stupid, and just because you are a girl shouldn't make you appear stupid these days. I had a female teacher that was 1 year younger than me (I'm 26) teaching advanced networking, ethical hacking, and hardware. This was at my college lol. After she taught there she started working for Google.

There are lots of stupid men too just so you know lol

Last edited:
To understand better are you saying that after a clean install of the OS, it seems that the person's desktop including all of the icons is the exact same?

Also is this person connected to a domain, or is it a local machine profile?

Edit:

You aren't stupid, and just because you are a girl shouldn't make you appear stupid these days. I had a female teacher that was 1 year younger than me (I'm 26) teaching advanced networking, ethical hacking, and hardware. This was at my college lol. After she taught there she started working for Google.

There are lots of stupid men too just so you know lol
Thank you for the response. Yes. The technician I work with has the person's desktop set back up the way it used to be before the clean OS install was done. And when we do clean install's it is a local machine profile. So I'm a little confused as to what he is doing, if he is creating an image or if he is pulling everything over from the backed up desktop folder.

Thank you for the response. Yes. The technician I work with has the person's desktop set back up the way it used to be before the clean OS install was done. And when we do clean install's it is a local machine profile. So I'm a little confused as to what he is doing, if he is creating an image or if he is pulling everything over from the backed up desktop folder.

Most likely just copying everything over from C:\Users\<username>\Desktop and putting it onto the new machine.

Wouldn't make much sense to take an image of the system, clean the viruses, and then deploy the image back onto the system - as it would have the viruses on the image as well.

Also, welcome to the forum!

I agree with carnage on this one. You can easily transfer a users preferences and files after installs of OS's. Just back up the users folder and reapply it on the new install.

I usually try to rescue their documents and photos by pulling them over to an external drive and then scanning the crap out of them. Once I know they are safe I move them on to the clean drive. It's a little extra work but it is worth it to the customer.

I usually try to rescue their documents and photos by pulling them over to an external drive and then scanning the crap out of them. Once I know they are safe I move them on to the clean drive. It's a little extra work but it is worth it to the customer.

+1 good advice!

Back
Top Bottom