Hello Everyone - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2015, 05:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Virgin Techie

Thumbs up Hello Everyone

Hello Everyone. I am somewhat new to the technology field. I recently obtained a job as a certified a+ technician. I enjoy working with computers and I am looking forward to moving my way up the chain slowly. Although I'm new to this field I am not too new to the world. I'm 32 years old and only 4 years ago did I decide to pursue my interest for computers. I do have a question that I was wondering if anyone could help me with? Even though I have my book smarts now, I am still learning a lot while actually learning in real world situations. One of my issues is that when a computer is deeply infected with viruses we have to try an backup what data we can from a person's computer and then do a clean install of their current OS. I have noticed that one of the techs I work with sets that person's desktop back to the way they had it before they did the OS install. Is that tech taking an image of the computer and then restoring that image or is that tech doing something else. I'm afraid to ask because I don't want to look like the stupid girl who should already know this. I would be much obliged for any suggestions and help.

paigeh_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: Hello Everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by paigeh_17 View Post
Hello Everyone. I am somewhat new to the technology field. I recently obtained a job as a certified a+ technician. I enjoy working with computers and I am looking forward to moving my way up the chain slowly. Although I'm new to this field I am not too new to the world. I'm 32 years old and only 4 years ago did I decide to pursue my interest for computers. I do have a question that I was wondering if anyone could help me with? Even though I have my book smarts now, I am still learning a lot while actually learning in real world situations. One of my issues is that when a computer is deeply infected with viruses we have to try an backup what data we can from a person's computer and then do a clean install of their current OS. I have noticed that one of the techs I work with sets that person's desktop back to the way they had it before they did the OS install. Is that tech taking an image of the computer and then restoring that image or is that tech doing something else. I'm afraid to ask because I don't want to look like the stupid girl who should already know this. I would be much obliged for any suggestions and help.
To understand better are you saying that after a clean install of the OS, it seems that the person's desktop including all of the icons is the exact same?

Also is this person connected to a domain, or is it a local machine profile?

Edit:

You aren't stupid, and just because you are a girl shouldn't make you appear stupid these days. I had a female teacher that was 1 year younger than me (I'm 26) teaching advanced networking, ethical hacking, and hardware. This was at my college lol. After she taught there she started working for Google.

There are lots of stupid men too just so you know lol

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.4 GHz | Cooling: Just Fans | Motherboard: BioStar Tz68K+ | RAM: Cosair Vengeance16GB (4X4GB) DDR3 @ 1600MHz | Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 560 TI | HDD: 1 TB Western Digital (want SSD for OS) | Sound: On-Board sound | PSU: CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W | Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Scout SGC-2100-KWN3 | OS's: Window 7 Professional x64, Kali Linux 1.0.9 | Display: Dell 24-inch HD, Samsung 24-inch HD
SubliminalX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Virgin Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalX7 View Post
To understand better are you saying that after a clean install of the OS, it seems that the person's desktop including all of the icons is the exact same?

Also is this person connected to a domain, or is it a local machine profile?

Edit:

You aren't stupid, and just because you are a girl shouldn't make you appear stupid these days. I had a female teacher that was 1 year younger than me (I'm 26) teaching advanced networking, ethical hacking, and hardware. This was at my college lol. After she taught there she started working for Google.

There are lots of stupid men too just so you know lol
Thank you for the response. Yes. The technician I work with has the person's desktop set back up the way it used to be before the clean OS install was done. And when we do clean install's it is a local machine profile. So I'm a little confused as to what he is doing, if he is creating an image or if he is pulling everything over from the backed up desktop folder.
paigeh_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by paigeh_17 View Post
Thank you for the response. Yes. The technician I work with has the person's desktop set back up the way it used to be before the clean OS install was done. And when we do clean install's it is a local machine profile. So I'm a little confused as to what he is doing, if he is creating an image or if he is pulling everything over from the backed up desktop folder.
Most likely just copying everything over from C:\Users\<username>\Desktop and putting it onto the new machine.

Wouldn't make much sense to take an image of the system, clean the viruses, and then deploy the image back onto the system - as it would have the viruses on the image as well.

Also, welcome to the forum!

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

I agree with carnage on this one. You can easily transfer a users preferences and files after installs of OS's. Just back up the users folder and reapply it on the new install.
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.4 GHz | Cooling: Just Fans | Motherboard: BioStar Tz68K+ | RAM: Cosair Vengeance16GB (4X4GB) DDR3 @ 1600MHz | Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 560 TI | HDD: 1 TB Western Digital (want SSD for OS) | Sound: On-Board sound | PSU: CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W | Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Scout SGC-2100-KWN3 | OS's: Window 7 Professional x64, Kali Linux 1.0.9 | Display: Dell 24-inch HD, Samsung 24-inch HD
Old 01-30-2015, 03:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Virgin Techie

great info!!
dhayesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

I usually try to rescue their documents and photos by pulling them over to an external drive and then scanning the crap out of them. Once I know they are safe I move them on to the clean drive. It's a little extra work but it is worth it to the customer.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 12:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotter View Post
I usually try to rescue their documents and photos by pulling them over to an external drive and then scanning the crap out of them. Once I know they are safe I move them on to the clean drive. It's a little extra work but it is worth it to the customer.
+1 good advice!

Tags
desktop, imaging, operating system, tech