hello

Scratch

Beta member
Hello to whom ever pays any attention to "hellos".
Truthfully I'm not exactly academically educated in the field of computer technology and will post my questions in the proper category to further attain my goals of adjusting to the advances of computer technology.
thanks for your time!

Most here are not academically educated in it, either. I have an Associates in IT but did not learn anything new (or much IT related) in earning it. I am mainly self-taught.

Welcome aboard.

Hello guys,

I am even worse off. I have no idea about computer technology outside being a consumer of it. To be very honest, I am just realizing how uncomfortable I am with having such little information and education about what goes on behind the screen. My questions I feel will be quickly answered by accredited and simply educated members of such a forum and community as this one.

I am hoping that gents and ladies of this tech community will freely advise, for now I am blind to advances in security and how to effectively and without obsession, go beyond the normal behavior of most consumers. I no longer wish to be a complete victim to my devices, while still being able to advance with them.

May I ask my first question pleeeeease. What thread would I go to and ask about this concern:

I recently noted while signing on with a voice mail service, that my cellphone can receive a call from an outside party that is actually a command to interact with my phone. One ring and a disconnect and they are in. I would like to know a little more about how this works, in laymans terms if possible. How many styles of this dial in command are available for remote control of devices? And mainly, should cellphone users be more concerned?

Welcome to the forums!
I'm about a year away from my Bachelors of Science in Computer Science and Computer Information Systems with an unofficial focus on database and server administration.

However... I'm mostly self taught as well. In the world of IT (I'm talking about the entire field encompassing programmers, database admins, the lowly helpdesk, etc, etc), IMO, experience is just as, if not MORE important, than a diploma.

If you're going into research, though, (especially in areas such as cryptography and network security research), a strong curriculum vitae is very important. It all depends on what field you want to ultimately end up in.

@Norky77
Your question would probably be best answered in its own thread ;)
http://www.techist.com/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=64

I got half way to an associates degree in computer science so I've been introduced to computers but after that I'm self taught too.
I mainly just read a lot to know how to teach myself to apply terms, and reasoning for my own purposes first, and just lend an ear here and there to learn something useful.

Back
Top Bottom