Greetings

jmuryasz

Beta member
I've been lucky enough to gain a level 1 support position all thanks to my best friend who is a genius of IT. I know hardly anything, however 2 weeks prior to starting the job, I've crammed and learned more information than I ever imagined possible.

After a week at my job and one emotional break down later, I think I'm going to be successful in making this my career.

I provide support for various companies. Most of my work is done using active directory (password resets, account lock outs, white listing emails with our SPAM filter, etc...) A lot of remote connection, server stuff all of which are still what I'm having trouble with. (one of the reasons I'm here) All that said, I love this field. My 8 hour work days feel like they're an hour long. All you can ask for when starting (what I hope to be) a life long career.

If anyone has tips for things I should certainly learn as a entry level of all entry levels please let me know. (Everyone has responded to that with "OSI model!!!")

Looking forward to meeting everyone on the board and discussing this great field.

Welcome to the forums! I'm in a very similar position to yours, but I do a lot more personal repairs (ie, I rarely use remote connections. Since I'm so close to all the computers I fix I can either just walk down there or drive if it's at another school)

I work at an elementary school as IT Support so I probably work with a few programs very few people have experience with (database management for school programs such as the library checkout system, e-book rental systems for teachers, math and reading program student databases, Aeries (the main student database), etc, etc, as well as security systems for checking for sex offenders and the like)

It's an adventure every day, and I enjoy every bit of it. As the old saying goes, "do something you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life"

From experience, my first tip would be get things done as fast as possible. They'll love you forever :tongue:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom