To Get Started - Android - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Techist Forum Information > New Member Introductions
Old 11-07-2014, 09:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Private Joker
Default Re: To Get Started - Android

Originally Posted by StevieJoseph View Post
What does rooted mean? I am quite the newb when it comes to mobile DEV stuff.

I'm trying to change the services tab in my phone to insert multiple choices for the state of services, instead of just stop and start
Rooted means having root access (superuser access - akin to Administrator account on a Windows machine), which allows you to play with system functions.

Post your phone's model (you said you had an M8, but what carrier are you on? The procedure is slightly different sometimes for different carrier models) and I can pull up the instructions on how to root.

You can't really just "insert" something. You'll need to make an app or framework module (such as XPosed) that allows you to stop/restart/start services and such.

You can use the Android Emulator that comes with the SDK to play with things rather than risking your phone, as well.

Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default Re: To Get Started - Android

If you find the emulator to be running slow (which most people do) download Genymotion. Its a much faster emulator that also allows maps to be installed.

Apple MacBook Pro || 750GB || 8GB RAM || 2.9 GHz i7
Apple iPhone 6S || 64GB || Black
Apple iPad Air 2 || 64GB || Black
Sony Playstation 3 || 60GB || 2007 Model
Microsoft Xbox 360 || 20GB || 2009 Model
Sony PSP || 8GB || 2005 Model
MillField is offline   Reply With Quote

android, editing, htc, services, startup