To Get Started - Android

StevieJoseph

Beta member
So I'm an apprentice, studying in quite a few areas. I have a project and I'd like the help of some real experts because all of the companies I have contacted so far always refer me to a "contact us by email".

My question is:
On the windows OS, you can check the state of your services and you can choose either stop or start. I want to know how to enter the files that are responsible for the state of services and add in a few extra options, like the ones that are included in windows OS such as automatic delayed.

Basically I'd like to be able to edit the files on a code based level so that when I start my phone up all of my services are as I would like them to be.

Welcome to the forum!

There's apps out there to control what starts up on boot - no need to edit anything. They're even more helpful if you're rooted, because then you have more control over the OS.

You can also use something like Tasker or Condi to setup timed events to happen so that certain apps startup or killed, various system functions change (such as turning wifi on/off) under certain conditions.

Thank you for the help! I was more hoping to be the one who creates the app/changes the files kind of thing. I know that the apps will pretty much do what I'm asking for but I would like to be able to learn how to do it for myself kind of thing?

This does actually help a lot, although this is the first time I will actually be on this level of depth, I could use a hand with explaining some of the small details such as defining some of the terminology used....?

I'm no Android dev but I am familiar with the *nix bootup process. I'm sure I can help a bit there. Just post whatever questions you have :tongue:

Would I need any specific software or applications to edit the services bootup files or is it just as simple as editing a bit of the text parameters in the files?

And do i need an Android Dev phone or can I do this from my HTC One M8 phone?

You'll need to be rooted first of all.

Second... What are you trying to accomplish, exactly? Just about everything that's started on an Android OS can be edited through CarnageX's examples, and the stuff that you can edit through these files you generally don't want to.. because 99% of the time you'll probably end up bricking your phone :tongue:

What does rooted mean? I am quite the newb when it comes to mobile DEV stuff.

I'm trying to change the services tab in my phone to insert multiple choices for the state of services, instead of just stop and start

I'd strongly advise against it if you don't know what rooting is. It's insanely easy to ruin a phone this way, especially when venturing into uncharted waters such as this.

However, if you wish to continue.. You will need to root your phone (google) and install a custom recovery such as TWRP or ClockworkMod Recovery. And unlock your phone if it isn't already (through htc-dev)

Doing so will wipe your phone entirely.

Back
Top Bottom